Monday, November 14, 2005

Where am I again?

Oh yes--here. Right.

The strange dreams keep coming. Last night's featured an ex-girlfriend, some cockatiel eggs, and a lot of black leather. There was also a bowling ball and a tea party involved. And a large boat.

Saturday night, into Sunday morning, I dreamed about Alaska. I dreamed I was trekking across a field of snow at night, under cold, bright stars. Everything around me was a hard navy blue--a blue so hard it had form and substance, and the snow under my feet *was* the blue, blue brought to empirical life, lodged in my throat while I tried to breathe as I walked. At the end of the trek, which lasted for hundreds of miles, I had to climb a large, steep hill that came up at a 45-degree angle from the snow. From the top of the hill I could see out over lakes and snow reflecting the stars. And then I turned over in bed in my sleep and somehow I was locked in a room in this landscape. A woman had locked me there, a small room with a ceiling so low I couldn't even sit up. A string of Christmas lights was the only light source, and all but two of the bulbs were unscrewed so that it was very dark. I crawled around in the room screwing the bulbs in.

It is taking a good-sized chunk of morning to get out of the images and sensations and emotions of these strange dreams and back into the flow of day-to-day.

Sometime Friday night, around two in the morning, Nathan sent a text message to my phone that said "Can you call me as soon as you can talk? It's an emergency." I sent a message back Saturday morning asking if it was still an emergency. I didn't want to call and wake him if he'd just gotten to sleep. He wrote back and said "I will live if you don't call," so I called him and listened to him lock himself in his car and cry and talk for a while. Then I felt really sad.

M got his bike Saturday morning. I'll post a picture of it soon. It's purdy. It's a big, shiny black 1979 Honda something-or-other. The seat is kind of high and in addition to being short, I have short legs proportionally, so he had me sit on it to see if I could reach the ground, to see if it would even be possible for me to ride it. Of course I could only reach the ground with the tips of my toes, so the only riding I'll be doing on that bike is on the back of it while he drives. C'est, la vie.

I've finished purchasing prints and frames for the holiday bazaar. Almost everything came out beautifully when I framed it, with the exception of a couple of the 8x10s that just printed badly (they're not in the Flickr photoset--everything there printed well). I felt...I felt pretty good looking at all my work presented nicely like that. I have many framed prints lining my little cube at work here waiting for Thursday. Now I just have to work out some sort of pricing scheme.

It's weird putting my pictures up and putting a price on them. Feels weird. Like a chunk of my heart is attached to the back of each one.

My parents and M's mom came over for dinner last night. I made a big pot of veggie chili. Here's how:

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
A red bell pepper
An orange bell pepper
A zucchini
A couple small onions or one big one
A brick of tofu (optional)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 cans of black beans
A can of red beans
A can of pinto beans
2 cans of chili starter (preferably spicy)
2 cans diced tomatoes (preferably with garlic, oregano, some juicy flavorness)
3 or 4 green onions
shredded cheese (Colby jack = yum)
sour cream

Directions:
1. Chop up the bell peppers and onion and zucchini to whatever size you want and put them in a bowl. Crumble the tofu in. (It's fun to squeeze it and make it goosh between your fingers.)

2. Heat the oil in a big ol' chili pot. Dump in the vegetables and tofu. Fry for about 20 minutes until the onions are translucent and everything is good and soft.

3. Dump in all the spices. Fry five more minutes.

4. Dump in all the beans, tomatoes, and the chili starter. Cook for about an hour over low heat--just enough to make it bubbly. Stir it now and then. Taste it a lot because it smells good.

5. Chop up the green onions.

6. Serve the chili in bowls with some green onions, shredded cheese, and sour cream on top.

13 Comments:

At November 14, 2005 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. Thanks.

But if you are eating it, no wonder you are having such weird dreams.

 
At November 14, 2005 2:56 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Have you ever considered going to Fotolia??

 
At November 14, 2005 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not be around much these days, but we're still on the same wavelength...I just made a big pot of chili on Sunday (mine had meat, though...). Yum, I've been craving it like crazy. Also made a big thing of cornbread.

When you figure out your pricing, please email me. I've been struggling with the same thing. Hard to put a price on your own work. I'd be interested to know where you land on that.

Miss you!
E

 
At November 14, 2005 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe- an instruction to 'dump' in a recipe: fantastic-
that alaska dream seems so real- but i can't explain- you'd have to see where i am from and what i dream about- don't you hate that? the inability to explain a sensation or how you know something or, i don't know- i am tired- i have been up for two days!!!

 
At November 14, 2005 8:36 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I once had a dream that was so bizarre and scary it kept me up for 2 days. Well, the fear I would dream it again is what kept me up, really.
Anyway, I hope your sleepy head will be more gentle to you.
I've been craving chili, too. The recipe looks yummy. Especially the "taste it a lot because it smells good" part. ;)

And I goosh tofu quite often. You're right, it's fun.

 
At November 14, 2005 10:06 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

the veggie chili sounds good!!

 
At November 14, 2005 10:28 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

You can substitute some -unh- Polk salad for that tofu ifn you want, but only if you's a straight razor totin' son (or daughter) of a gun.

"The dream police, they live inside of my head. The dream police, they come to me in my bed. The dream police, they’re coming to arrest me, oh no."

-Suley

 
At November 15, 2005 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds finger licking yummy! Will try; minus the tofu!
Are you vegeration?

Fitèna

 
At November 15, 2005 1:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh good heavens, chili without meat? Maybe in my younger years, but now, I just cant imagine it without at least a little bit of sirloin...

I never considered recipes, I take about 3 or 4 from Allrecipes and then add my own special lovin and that was has done me right for the past 3 years. Though things like Pad Thai and Beef Stew which I made recently, they are mostly me. Allrecipes sorely lacks on the ethnic cuisine. Can't find ANY Tempeh on there, which is better than tofu to me...

btw if you have any good tempeh or bean recipes sans tofu, or with tofu and say, shrimp or chicken, I will definately give it a whirly...

 
At November 15, 2005 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks totally yummy. Cumin is by far my favorite spice, and colby jack is a staple in our house.

I was thinking about you this weekend selling your photography. I would feel so naked if it were me. I'm so proud of you and can't wait to hear how much people loved your work.

 
At November 16, 2005 10:55 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Few questions. Where do go that you take these awesome shots of grasshoppers and other little creatures? Do you have a wildlife park nearby? I could never find that stuff around here.

And why aren't you a professional photographer? From one photo enthusiast to another, I am FLOORED by your photography. It's amazing. You really shoudl be making a living this way. Your stuff blows away most of the professional photographers in this area (and I work with quite a few being a designer). For real.

Yum.. chili sounds great. But It will be some time bfore I can eat normally again- stomach flu. Ugh. As long as I can eat on Turkey Day next week.

How's the novel coming along?

 
At November 16, 2005 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, hope your day is going well.

-Hu

 
At November 16, 2005 4:49 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Looks really good... And I guess we could swap the tofu for some ground turkey breast and have a meaty one.

What is Chili Starter? I never heard of it...

I'll look at the market next time...

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home