Monday, November 07, 2005

Jobs. Yardwork. Writing. Noof.

M's interview went well for him. The house is nice and clean now. We'll see how long that lasts. We did so much yardwork this weekend. So much raking. Raking is fun to do for about the first half hour. Then you get the blisters and the aching muscles and the stuffy nose and it ain't so great.

If he gets this position, it will probably be second shift, and I'll be spending a lot of time alone. With the dogs. The lieutenant who did the interview seemed like a decent sort. He said he'd give M a good recommendation.

My dad bought a Nikon D50 this weekend. I went with him to get it. He let me play with it for a while yesterday. Man oh man. Man oh man oh man. That is a nice piece of work, that D50. Nice. I want that damn thing with my mitochondria. With my windpipe and my sternum and the bottoms of my feet. Hot damn do I want that thing.

I never expected photography to become quite the obsession that it has. Why can't I have a normal hobby, like...

?

what do people do for hobbies these days? Play racquetball? Collect stuff? Shit. I don't know.

A nice, normal, cheap hobby.

My mom is having surgery on her ears. She's lost her ability to hear low-range sounds. Which apparently includes my voice, because she asks me to repeat things a lot. It makes me sad. She says she isn't nervous about the surgery, but she is. She talks about certain things certain ways, and I know. Her surgery won't be until after New Year's, so. Anyway I hope it works out. They're replacing one of the three itty-bitty bones in there with a fake one. When you get this done you have to wait a year between getting one ear done and getting the other done. It's weird.

I keep thinking about my job and how I can get out of it. How I can...do something else. I don't know. I feel like I put my foot in my mouth daily, and I can't really do much right, and there's no point me staying on here for various reasons, and at the same time I think I'd be an idiot to give it up because of the nice 401K program and the security and all that shit. I don't know. It's something I've been mulling over but can't quite seem to come to a consensus with myself on. I'll get there one of these days. Indeed I will.

Strange weather here lately. Much warmer than it's supposed to be for this time of year. Not complaining about that! That I can still skate into November is awfully nice.

NaNoWriMo: It's going okay. I got some stuff written, which was the whole point for me of doing it. I'm not really following the letter of the NaNoWriMo law here. I just needed something to get me going again. I agree with Christian that you can't really write a good novel in a month, because all you're doing is plowing forward without the introspection and culling and carving and polishing that it takes to shape what comes out into something presentable. However, when I read his post, I also got a little offended. NaNoWriMo is encouraging people to be creative. In some cases, it's giving people the impetus they need to finally make themselves sit down and try something they've been meaning to try for a long time. Saying that "real" writers, i.e. those who are trying to make a living at it, are laughing at NaNoWriMo participants seems to be perpetuating a derisiveness of "real" artists for "fake" ones, or those who haven't found their sea legs yet. I know what he's saying is born out of a defensiveness about spending so much time trying to do something and then seeing a huge group of people trying to do that same thing without (seemingly) all the inner turmoil and stress and perfectionism and sleepless nights of revision and dedication to quality that goes with it, but still, it kind of hurt my feelings. Which surprised me--I didn't think I was sensitive about that sort of thing after years of creative writing "workshops" at the university where people either say "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" in various ways. Who knew my tough skin had fallen away? Sheesh.

(By the by, I don't mean to start any flamey stuff by bringing that up--I just thought it worth talking about. Diverging viewpoints and all.)

Anyway. I think I'll go for a walk on my lunch break. Take some pictures.

13 Comments:

At November 07, 2005 1:48 PM, Blogger paula said...

NaNoWriMo... you bring up an excellent point.

I scrapped my first effort because I saw that I was taking too much time in fine-tuning the piece. My writing was excruciatingly slow and meticulous.

It was a great piece of writing, true... but it isn't going to get me across the finish line unless I quit my job and ignore my life for the rest of the month.

I switched to writing that which exudes from my being... not particularly lyrical or beautiful.. but it became more about putting a piece of heart in writing.

For me, agreeing to NaNoWriMo is about doing something specifically for myself. Not as a mother, or a wife or an employee... this is a pure selfish investment in acomplishment.

I think that my decision to step away from what I thought someone else would judge as "good" really allowed me to begin creating something that is "real" instead.

To me, that is what matters. I could care less what some judgmental jerk deems as quality writing.

mg

 
At November 07, 2005 2:49 PM, Blogger Allan said...

There is no such thing as a cheap hobby.

Not if you do it right.

 
At November 07, 2005 9:02 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Wishing your mom the best with the surgery.
Wishing you clarity about your job thing and M good luck with his job thing.
Wishing I could see what you took pics of on your lunch break...

 
At November 07, 2005 10:41 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hobby? Does running count? If so, that's mine, and working out.

NaNo is going well for me, I'm totally enjoying telling a story that I've churned in my head for years. I don't think I ever would have told it without NaNo. The last time I tried to write it, 2-1/2 years ago, I was so wrapped up in backstory, and character development and NAMES that I over anaylized it all and quit writing. Now, I need a name? The first one that comes to head gets to the be it. Character development? Ah, it's kinda coming on the fly.

Now, if my PDA would quit freaking out on me I'd be happier. Like loosing 3500 words over the weekend, that was so not fun.

 
At November 07, 2005 11:06 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

I hope I never lose my hearing. Lord, that would be unbearable for me. Here's hoping that op works out well for your mom.

I just realized I'm too poor for all of my hobbies. And I'm not exactly into collecting Maseratis or faberge eggs, here.

Writing a historical monograph in a month. Now *that* would be a challenge. A challenge I might be just crazy enough to take up. Crazy like a fox, that is.

-Suley

 
At November 07, 2005 11:13 PM, Blogger M said...

alternative hobby: stickball.

diggidal fotografy, at least, is a step down price-wise from the old, clicky-clicky kind. At least you're only developing that which you already know will turn out... not things you just have a hunch, from a teeny tiny, invertec-colour box.

word verification: smfelvhl. My Icelandic lover.

 
At November 08, 2005 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, friend. It's been a while. Good luck to M on the job...
Isn't it amazing how you can pine away over a camera when you just spent a fortune on one a few months ago? I'm the same way, except I'm pining for new lenses - which add up to the cost of a new camera. It's crazy!
Here's a way to think of it...think about how much more expensive our hobby would be if it weren't for digital! Film and developing really add up! :)

 
At November 08, 2005 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your mom's surgery goes well-
it looks like you will be joining the sitting alone in the dark club with me- at least it will make your quality time more quality, if you know what i mean

 
At November 08, 2005 8:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Almost every hobby is expensive. Eight years ago I starting quilting. I love to collect them, but couldn't afford to keep buying them. So, I started to make them. Now, the cost of fabric is getting so freaking high I might give that up to. (NOT) Anyway, my point is, nothing is cheap anymore. Nothing.

Good luck to M! I hope the position is good, especially since you might be home alone in the evenings. Is it week-ends too? The Deputy has been on nights for six years. I really don't mind. I get the TV all to myself. How's that for priorities?

 
At November 08, 2005 9:19 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I forgot to say before that I'm really liking the new "look" to your blogs, especially jukebox2 - wonderful.
There, said it. :)

 
At November 08, 2005 10:37 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I think photography is a great hobby. I certainly enjoy the benefits of your hobby--I always like your photos!

 
At November 13, 2005 2:01 AM, Blogger Raehan said...

I think NaNoWriMo is just an exercise to get our creative juices flowing. It's not about writing great novels, it's about seeing where it all takes you and learning about the process.

I am way behind on my word count becuse it's hard for me to work fast, but that's okay. It's great to have the incentive to meet the deadline.

I have a lot of work to do to catch up.

 
At November 16, 2005 4:53 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I want a D50!

What a cool Dad!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home