Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A mixed bag

So the city might be headed in the right direction, but the state's circling the drain. Every ballot initiative I voted for except one got the royal shoot-down, and the one that passed was one I waffled on mightily. Ah, local politics. I heard a funny quote on NPR this morning regarding democrats winning elections. A guy said, "It's kinda like the dog chasing the car, you know; what do you do with it when you catch it?" Good question. I'm eager to see what the dog of new city council does with the car (wreck) of city politics.

I ran into a good friend yesterday while voting; she lives in the same municipality I do. She and her husband have one kid who's 2 and they've been trying for a long time to get pregnant again without success; yesterday, she told me she's pregnant. I'm so happy for her. We went to First Watch for breakfast after we voted. The cuteness of her two-year-old borders on the illegal. It seems like I know so many pregnant people...oy. Gets me all wanting foster kids again. It's such a huge thing, I don't know. But it's there, in my mind, and M and I have talked about it but always in nebulous, future-someday terms. The wheels they are a'spinnin'...car loan will be paid off in May, student loans are consolidated and down to a reasonable payment level, M might be getting a nice raise. Could this all spell foster kids?

It's almost weird to even write about this stuff, because it's been pushed so far into the background of my thoughts for so long that now that it seems there might even be a small possibility that it could happen, it's like a whole new world.

Anyway, no immediate decisions on that stuff. Just something to think about, and talk about.

M has a cold. He's very dramatic about it, God love him. Last night I slept in a different room both so his coughing wouldn't keep me awake and so I wouldn't catch it. It was lonely. I took one dog in there with me. And I had a nightmare about some Scientology guy chasing me and trying to make me take all these horrible tests. I had Steve the dog with me in the dream and we were running up flights of stairs to get away from the guy when I woke up terrified. I have no idea why Scientology should inspire such fear in me. Two nights ago I had a wretched dream about having sex with John Kerry. John Kerry. I mean I voted for him and all but Christ almighty. I had to take a shower when I got up.

I have a new photoset on Flickr of stuff I'm printing for the bazaar whatsit, which is next Thursday. I figure if I don't sell much, I'll at least have some really nice framed prints to give for Christmas. If anyone wants to print anything out of my photoset, feel free; I uploaded the pics at print-resolution and named the files according to what size print they're cropped for. To make sure you get the right size for printing, you have to click the "all sizes" button above the photo and download it at "original size."

We're having my parents and M's mom over for dinner on Sunday. It's going to be some kind of record for the house to be so clean two weekends in a row like that. M is getting his motorcycle on Saturday. It's a late-seventies Honda something or other. He's very excited. I'm happy for him but know I'm not going to see much of him this weekend unless I feel like sitting in the garage watching him work on the bike trying to get it to run.

This weather...what can I say about it. I love it. Here it is November ninth and I wore flip-flops to work. Last night I went running and I was sweating wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It's so warm. And humid. It feels like mid-spring out there. I don't think it got below 65 last night. Yeee-haaaw...

Okay. Time to eat miso.

I'm thinking about starting to do a recipe thing on here now n' then. Fall makes me cook.

11 Comments:

At November 09, 2005 2:17 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Mixed bags are always interesting...

Fall makes me (want to) cook, too.
A recipe thing here now n' then would be groovy.

I'm so glad you said that about printing out your photos because I've been eyeing a few of them.
I'm completely transfixed by the "dark rose" in this latest print-worthy set. Good luck with the whatsit.

 
At November 09, 2005 3:42 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

wow, I think that is amazing that you are considering having foster kids--- you could make such a difference in their lives. I would imagine that would be really hard, but really rewarding at the same time..

 
At November 09, 2005 5:17 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

John Kerry. Ugh. Gag me with a shovel. Scientology guy is bad, but I think sex with Kerry is worse.

Foster kids is definitely a good move, at least for someone other than me. I'm too poor and lack the patience to take care of children other than my own sister. I think you should go for it.

All this warm weather is throwing me off. I need cold at this point.

And recipes would be cool.

-Suley

 
At November 09, 2005 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recipes! I am the queen of recipes... I was thinking of doing a recipe blog, even. It is not warm here!! Not fair!!

Getting that kid urge?? Yay!
(no pressure)

John Kerry? HAHAHAHAHAHHAA

 
At November 09, 2005 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Scientology and John Kerry? Maybe you should take a sleeping pill once in awhile to get some restful sleep?

If I may offer some advice on the whole foster parent thing. While I do not have foster children, only my own. I think people never are financially prepared for children. We saved quite a bit before having our first child. We drained that account in two years. (Partly because I became a stay at home mom.)

Don't even consider the money. If anything, consider if you are willing to devote 24 hours a day, seven days a week to a child. The only thanks you will ever get is knowing you made a difference in a child's life. For me, at least, is all I need.

Good luck with your decision!

 
At November 09, 2005 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, miso...yum...this is like the billionth time I wished I lived close enough for you to cook for me! :) Going to check out your pics now...

 
At November 09, 2005 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of NPR, there was totally a guy reading a short story about the Badlands yesterday on NPR on my way home. I thought of you and M, of course.

John Kerry, wacky. And you want warm? It was 89 deg in Phx today. Yikes.

Hope you have a great day!

 
At November 09, 2005 11:18 PM, Blogger M said...

I have so many questions I need to ask you about you and Ohio and how wrong I probably am about it.
But, alas, I probably won't.
Shut up, M, you've had one too many martinis.

 
At November 09, 2005 11:32 PM, Blogger Heather said...

One of my close friends has three foster children. She says they have been a major blessing in her life. Any child would be lucky to have you and M for parents.

 
At November 11, 2005 9:10 AM, Blogger Hu said...

Meat loaf. Bird flu gonna gitcha. I love skate club.


-Hu

 
At November 13, 2005 1:57 AM, Blogger Raehan said...

Fostering is such a wonderful thing to do. I bet you would be great at it.

How did I not know that Ohio has inititives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home