Monday, October 24, 2005

A few random shades of blue

Our dog Nancy has recently become a hellion. We don't know what's wrong with her. Just in the past couple days she has developed some heinously bad behavoirs when in proximity to food and our dog Steve at the same time, or when we're touching her while Steve is around. There have been knockdown dragout dogfights in which she has been headed for Steve's jugular. Though she is only half his size, she does have that Staffordshire locking jaw of almighty doom, so this is somewhat worrisome, as the dogs are alone in the house for a good seven or so hours every day, and I don't want there to be some bloody incident like the Kiva ear incident while we're not here to yank the little bastiches apart. Tonight while I had her in my lap for a recently rare moment of dog-snuggling-time, I noticed that both her eyes have become foggier, as though they're clouded by cataracts. I wonder if she is losing her vision, and that's what's causing her to become so broilingly defensive lately.

----------------------------------------------

Hot spiced tea is just wonderful when it's 38 degrees and raining outside.

----------------------------------------------

When you come to me with your hair on fire about a work project at 4:55 and I'm gathering my stuff to leave to go home, please do not expect me to treat your project enthusiastically.

----------------------------------------------

I have been watching an anime series called Haibane Renmei. I try not to geek out with the anime stuff on this blog too much, because I don't know that it's as interesting to anyone else (except Suley) as it is to me, and I'm hesitant to begin to write about how awed I am by the creativity and beauty I find in so much anime art (notably Miyazaki's work and the Ghost in the Shell stuff). But this series I'm watching now, is just, it's...phenomenal, and I can't not mention it. My days have been spent looking forward to evenings in which I will watch DVD episodes of this series. If you want to know about the characters and the story and all that, you can click the link, which goes to the official site. What I like about it so much is this: It chronicles the move from the blank slate of innocence to the chaotic palette of knowledge in the simplest, most beautifully effective way I've seen in a very long time. A few words from one character can make my heart constrict like a lemon slice gripped by an alcoholic in a vodka-tonic stupor. The music is quiet but effective. The backdrops are gorgeously rendered, the characters as complex as any people you'd meet in your life. I feel like a better person for having watched this series. I would encourage anyone to purchase it (here) or rent it (here). Maybe I can even convince Suley (wink wink, nudge nudge) to sing its praises.

----------------------------------------------

I still have no earthly idea what I'm going to write about for NaNoWriMo (which is a cool concept with a mighty silly name). While part of me wants to sit down and plan shit out, the rest of me is like, bah, the tar with it, spackle it up on the fly.

----------------------------------------------

I posted a little photo story I made here. It's about a pumpkin.

----------------------------------------------

I wonder why the Blogger dictionary does not recognize the word "blog."

12 Comments:

At October 25, 2005 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are so talented am jeoulous! Great pictures really! I loled at the pretzel too, my favourite is the singer though! People are their est when shot unawares I believe. If he's been posing he would have looked very silly and stupid but shot like this he looks just silly and stupid.
Your nipple guy I don't have any comment about. The mud guy looks mad to me.
That your brother?and you say your sister is crazy? :-)
BTW, blog has been included in the new version of the Larousse French dictionnaries. There was a long feature on blogs and blogging on Envoyé Spécial. A french program on France 2 Channel. That's how I discovered the log universe and been blogging you, oops bugging you since! :-)

Say J., i still ain't got that card you sent.... :-(

Fitèna

 
At October 25, 2005 5:26 AM, Blogger em said...

it IS getting very cold here- i usually don't mind except that this year the heating costs are ridiculous- my hometown (not where i live now, of course) got snow on sunday night!

 
At October 25, 2005 7:46 AM, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

It may be cataracts. I have a cataract and I know I tend to attack people if they approach me on my blind side while I am eating. I'll stab your ass trying to take my Cocoa Pebbles!

 
At October 25, 2005 3:13 PM, Blogger Walter said...

I like Anime and Manga, both are great mediums, but animation for the most part has been severly under developed in the US. It's only with the release of 3d animation like, Toy Story to Shrek, to The Incredibles that it's finally starting to catch on and get developed. I hope it continues to do so, and I hope disney animators, who for the most part are Miyazaki fans, as well as other animators from pixar can get the US caught up to near level with Japanese Anime.

 
At October 25, 2005 5:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Dude, I'm so in on the NaNoWriMo!! i just signed up. I just finished co-writing a book on how to write a book in 60 days, but it's marketed towards nonfiction and how-to's. However, I, myself, have wanted to write fiction for forever and a day. Yay, let's do this together. We can inspire each other to write 1666.66 words a day! (yeah, that's a bit insane).

I have zero background in fiction writing, which makes this loads of fun. Sweet jesus.

 
At October 25, 2005 6:16 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

I love that your dogs have names like Nancy and Steve. It cracks me up every time you talk about them. :)

 
At October 25, 2005 6:53 PM, Blogger paula said...

~oh! poor puppy!

~Mmm. Spiced tea with cream. I'm a snuggler when it's raining. If I can't snuggle, then I nest. *sigh* The trees are really turning colors here in the Southwest, we'll hit winter soon as well.

~4:55, ah yes. That's my day no matter what time it is. Everyone expects me to drop what I'm doing and worship them for bringing me something ELSE for my to do list...

~My friend Ali keeps swearing that she's going to bring over all of her anime and edumucate me. She's a tease. I'm going to have to go at it with your recommendations.

~Oh thank the gods. I thought I was the only one waiting until the last second... *laughs*

~My pumpkins are patiently awaiting the axe. Tomorrow the streets will run orange!!!

~Blogger spell check bites it. Word.


mg

 
At October 25, 2005 7:02 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

I LOVE the pumpkin carving pictures!!!! I think I will so totally steal your idea, and do that to one of ours this year!! fun!!! and, of course, the requisite pumpkin throwing up one. haha.

 
At October 25, 2005 7:15 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

Haibane Renmei is ill. I'll write up a proper review of it on mah blog if anyone at all is interested. I've only seen the first four eps, but I've gotten into it.

Girls in sailor suits with angel wings and little halos? How can you not love that?

Anime is my crack. Roughly 95% of it is junk, but the other 5% is true art.

Blogger spellcheck doesn't even know the word "mullet." So what good is it?

-Suley

 
At October 25, 2005 8:21 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I've noticed it doesn't recognize the word blog too! Lame!

 
At October 25, 2005 9:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you got fighting problems with your kids too! Put them in time out or take a favorite toy away. Our favorite saying right now is "you hit, you sit".

Think all of that will work on the dogs?

 
At October 25, 2005 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

spackling is what you do...and you do it well. I say, go with the spackle on NaNoWriMo and you will do fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home