Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A long night full of dreams


I fell asleep on the couch at 7 last night and stayed in a sleep daze the rest of the night...dreaming so many different dreams I've forgotten ninety percent of them, but the ones I remember are vivid and clear like memories instead of imaginary dreams. I remember a city, a crowded city, so full that cars were stacked like piles of pancakes in parking lots, and to get yours out from the bottom of the heap required acrobatic skill, and to leave the city you had to sit on crowded highways. I dreamed about a hurricane so large it cut a swath over the surface of the globe, every continent, spinning through every ocean and finally sputtering out in Greenland, of all places. I dreamed about a woman who had grown up in grinding poverty and now insisted her baby sleep in a warm bed every night, even though she had to overextend her finances to do it. I dreamed about hiking to a festival in the rain, and waiting for friends who never came, called instead offering lame excuses like a waiter offering sad, sorry-looking appetizers on a gilded tray. I dreamed a man operated on my body while I was awake.

Is it the moon, do you think? I wonder. The full moon.

I'm winding up to start writing again. Every one of these dreams is a story, a long story full of twisted characters and plots and subtext and emotion.

The moon in the night like that gives me goosebumps.

10 Comments:

At October 18, 2005 7:51 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

sounds like your muse is nudging you...

gorgeous picture!

 
At October 18, 2005 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dreams are so interesting! I wonder what those dream people would have to say about what they mean, and I wonder if you're right, if it's anything to do with the full moon. Possible, I guess.

Can't wait to hear some stories, I hope you'll post one or two! :)

 
At October 18, 2005 3:18 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I'm anxious to see what you write. Will you be sharing? I haven't decided yet.

I blogged about a dream today too. :-)

 
At October 18, 2005 4:57 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

the dreamlike atmosphre of your pictures is wonderful.

 
At October 18, 2005 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful pic, J. We were watching the moon last night, too...I wish that it caused me to have such vivid dreams.

 
At October 18, 2005 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See J, you just needed some time to get over the funk, and on the other side you found inspiration.

 
At October 18, 2005 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How did you sleep" is never going to be an easy answer for you, is it?

 
At October 18, 2005 11:28 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

Hm. Very, very nice as usual. My moon pics came out like white dots. Curse you Nikon Coolpix 2100!

Tonight we had a yellow moon. In winter that means it will snow. I'm not sure what that means this time of year. I think it's just a sign that the dead will rise.

"Don't tell me my dreams are fake."

I don't sleep, I dream.

-Suley

 
At October 19, 2005 1:46 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Dreams that are vivid and clear like memories instead of imaginary dreams.
I love those. Even the scary, weird ones. I tend to focus on the 'story' that comes from those kinds of dreams, too. It will be interesting to see what you write from them.

 
At October 21, 2005 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dreamed about a small piece of artwork with a poem on it received from a long lost friend.

And the code continued to taunt me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home