Monday, February 13, 2006

Well, poop.

So, I fell down. :(

I think it's really dumb that I can do black diamond slopes full of moguls with ZERO TROUBLE but the damn bunny slope is what gets me.

The orthopedic surgeon I saw today says that the x-rays showed my shoulder dislocated in two places--where my arm connects to the body and where my clavicle connects to my sternum. There is also some nerve damage going on. My grip is weak and it's difficult to hold a pen to write. M had to fill out the forms for me at the office. It's taking forever to type this. I have to get an MRI to determine what nerve damage has occurred in the part where my arm connects, and a CT scan to see what I fucked up around my sternum area. Glorious. Hopefully those two things will occur tomorrow--dude at the ortho office said he'd try to get them scheduled as soon as possible.

Woot. Wootie woot poop.

It was fun up until that happened, at least. We made great time driving up there. Had lots of fun on the slopes. There's a great run off to one side of the mountain called Tannenbaum that's full of spruce trees, and snow was falling softly and the lights were illuminating the flakes as they fell. At the top, where the lift drops you off, you're surrounded by these beautiful tall, thin spruces, making a sort of room all around you. It's so beautiful up there.

After I took my face-plant, I kept skiing for about two hours. It was at the bottom of a green circle slope (aka bunny hill)--I hit a small bump I didn't see because I was fiddling with my goggles as I skied, pushing them up off my face since I was at the bottom. My skis are less than two feet long (little trick skis) and the toe of one caught the snow as I was moving forward and down I went. It hurt like a futhermucker but it felt about the same as last year when I did this, and the diagnosis then was that I had just dislocated the shoulder and popped it back in, so I figured it was the same story this time. But as I kept going, it kept hurting worse, and I finally quit while M and my brother kept going for another hour or so. By the time the second day rolled around I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to get back out there. I hung out in the hotel while M and my bro went skiing. I read a Galen Rowell photography book and watched a really horrible movie called Rock Star. (Its sheer awfulness kept my mind intermittently off the pain.) We stopped at Lake Erie on the way home Sunday and I took a few pics, but holding a camera is rather excruciating, so I didn't get many.

The nerve damage thing scares me. I kind of still want to retain the ability to hold a camera. I guess I could learn to shoot with my left hand. But damn.

This is one of the pictures I took at Lake Erie. M creating a masterpiece in the sand and expressing my sentiments regarding this trip.

I've taken some percocet which seems only to be making me dizzy. The pain is still there, but I care a little less.

I'll try to get some more pics together to post later, along with news about whatever the tests show regarding my busted-ass arm. I can't drive and I'm in a shitload of pain, so work is sort of out for the moment, giving me some computer time. This is actually the first sick day I've taken from my job, so I've got a few saved up.

Kay. More later.

10 Comments:

At February 13, 2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J! What are you DOING?! I can't believe that happened to you this weekend! Nerve dammage?! I do not envy you the MRI and CT scan. TERRIFIED of small spaces I tell you. Well if you need anything, anything at all that can be done from thousands of miles away and electronically, let me know. :-)

 
At February 13, 2006 7:06 PM, Blogger M said...

Ah, Holiday.

I saw a girl face plant off a chair lift there on a high school trip. She was messed up.

I had an MRI a few years ago. I was really tired, so I fell asleep for about half an hour... the last 15 minutes were terrible, because I woke up and all I wanted to do was itch, and I COULDN'T...

Where along Lake Erie did you stop? Did you take the 90 to the 44 to Highlands? Or did you stop in Barcelona? Or in PA somewhere??? Tell me, them's me stompin' grounds.

Rest well, drink much. Really. It dulls the pain.

 
At February 13, 2006 8:18 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

That sucks. I'd be mighty sick if I couldn't hold my camera steady (and I have plenty trouble with that anyway).

This is why I don't ski. Think about it: rocketing down the side of a mountain with nothing to protect you but a thin layer of gore-tex. Don't the Nepalese consider that a form of suicide?

Hope this can be fixed.

-Suley

 
At February 13, 2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Raehan said...

Ouch.

So sorry. Get better soon.

 
At February 14, 2006 3:48 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Aua! J, I hope that everything'll be alright with your arm! Get well soon!

 
At February 14, 2006 4:10 AM, Blogger Fatma said...

Hey J*! Stopped byt owish you a Happy Valentine's Day and here I read you're broken!!! Poor bay, I hope you're fixed up soon!
I had an ankle fracture once, but I deserved it; been playing football with some boys!

Take care!
luv,
Fitèna

 
At February 14, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger paula said...

OOOHHHHH Poor J! *pet* *pet*

Try to have a Happy Valentine's Day anyway... (the percocet will help)

mg

 
At February 14, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Hu said...

Stored up sick days? Mang, you are dedicated. I had to borrow one from 2006 in 2005.. but I ain't that dedicated. Or that smart I guess. However, I do have all the tools now I need to work at home, so those few hours here and there... oh yeah, dooce. never mind. ;-) glad you're okay.

 
At February 15, 2006 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap!

I hope the MRI shows things to be much better than the doc seems to think.

Damn.

You just earned honorary membership in my klutzy family.

Damn.

 
At February 16, 2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Yuck!!! I just blogged last night about joining ski club in the hopes of getting a certain guy to fall in love with me (didn't work BTW). I was an accident waiting to happen!

I hope you feel better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home