Thursday, February 23, 2006

Blah blah, poopie day, blah.

My ma had her ear surgery today. They took out her stapes and put in a fake one. Technology! Wow! I went to see her tonight after she got home. She was dizzy, but slowly getting her bearings back. Apparently to do this operation, the eardrum must be punctured. The one time I did that, it was pretty agonizing, unsettling, and all around suckey, so I feel bad for her. My dad had to help her sit up. She was very quiet. She could only hear out the other ear, so I just kind of sat there holding her hand. My poor mumsy. I hope she heals quickly and as painlessly as possible.

We are being geared up at work for a massive project that's going to take up most of spring and early summer. My favorite time of year. When I really, really want to sit at my desk looking out at the wonderful weather but unable to go play in it. All it's doing is fueling my drive to go pro with the photo thing. Great American Dream and all that shit. I'd sure like to be my own boss. I've been doing some freelance stuff for a local arts and culture site in exchange for visible credit and some promotion and free advertising. I meet with that guy about the calendar gig next week.

I saw a pigeon get hit by a bus today. A coworker and I walked to the library at lunch and on our walk back to the office, a bus and a pigeon entered an intersection at the same time. I saw the interlocking pieces of fate moving together and couldn't stop them. The moving bus, the moving pigeon...the hollow *thwack* as the pigeon bounced off the windshield, the slow-motion of the feathers flying in all directions. As the bus moved by, it blocked my view of the pigeon. I looked at the street after it had gone, expecting to see a bloody pulp, but the pigeon flew up, confused, and landed on the side of the street holding its wing at an odd angle. It crawled under a trash can and got laughed at by the group of people standing at the intersection's corner waiting for other busses. I didn't know if I should go try to help it or not. It flew after it got hit, and maybe my trying to pick it up would scare it back into the street to get hit again...I just kept walking, but I don't know, maybe I should have tried to bring it home and nurse it back to health. I felt bad for it. I mean, my shoulder hurts, but at least I didn't get hit by a bus.

Remember that drama I was bitching about a while ago involving my lower lip and the continual biting thereof? Later in the afternoon I managed to chomp the shit out of it while I was talking to my boss about the stupid president (more on that in a minute). Blood everywhere. I had to go in the bathroom and spit out mouthful after mouthful of it. It is now so disgustingly and painfully swollen that it's difficult to talk and very difficult to eat. I grossed out everyone around me when it happened, so hey, at least that's something. I looked it up and have inexpertly diagnosed myself as having this monstrosity. Fits the bill exactly. This has been going on for like a month.

I wonder if I could convince them to do surgery on this while I'm knocked out for my shoulder surgery. Nuthin' like killing two birds with one stone...

Okay, that was a bad analogy, in light of the pigeon thing.

Anyway, on to the stupid president, who was in town for a fundraiser for Mike DeWine, and for whom the highway was shut down just before rush hour. AAAAAUURGH, why can't they have these stupid fundraisers in the middle of the night? As if we don't have enough of a traffic problem in this town. It was bumper to bumper the whole twenty-mile stretch from downtown where I work to my house, so I had to take the long-ass way around to get home. I did get the opportunity to give the president the double-finger salute from my office window though. I was within a hundred yards of the dude as he drove by, since the road he was on goes directly around our building. Of course, I don't know which black SUV with the tinted windows he was in, or if he was in one of the twelve thousand cop cars, the two ambulances, or the hearse that travels with his retinue (yes, the president's retinue includes two ambulances and a hearse, who knew? Insert lame Dick Cheney shooting joke here if you want), so I made sure to give them all the bird.

Blah. I was getting ready to go to bed, which necessitates letting each of the dogs out one at a time so they walk on the mudpit of the backyard rather than wrestling in it, but the neighbors' Aikita was running loose and all my dogs went baths, blah...

I have nothing more to say, this day sucked. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better.


At February 24, 2006 3:57 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Awwwwww....poor you. Hope you mummy feels better soon. And hope that your lip would heal soon, too. You probably be the Hunchback of Notredame walking around with that shoulder and a deformed lip.

BTW, I'd be careful with birds at the moment...however, you're in the US and the H5N1 isn't there i guess it should've been alright if you rescued that pigeon. Poor thing.

At February 24, 2006 6:43 AM, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

They even stopped pedestrian traffic from walking over the highway down by the stadium until the Shrub drive by, How ridiculous! I understand tightened security for a presidential visit but what was one lady cop going to do if all 15 of us bridge walkers had decided to take out ole G W?
Hope your mom feels better today.

At February 24, 2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Hu said...

I, thankfully skipped downtown before the chimp parade arrived.

At February 24, 2006 9:47 PM, Anonymous em said...

I think something is in the air and has been moving from east to west- lets hope for some unshitty luck streaks.

At February 25, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger BG said...

Yesterday is gone... today is wonderful! Much love and laughter your way! Take care, J-Star!


Post a Comment

<< Home