Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Cincinnati: The city where shit is always blowing up


I took this photo out my office window yesterday. Beauty, eh? Some warehouse down by the river. Kaboom. Shoulda heard the sirens, you'd have thought we were under a missle attack. That's I 75 in the middle of the picture, there.

I don't have any pictures of the mosque bombings that happened in town today. I was kind of surprised that it didn't make the national news. Politics and the transit strike (oh you poor New Yorkers, I do not envy you now) took top priority.

I know I've been quiet lately. I don't have much to say. I've been non-unhappy, which is kind of nice. Had some strange dreams, but nothing too notable. I'm happy to see the current administration struggling against the flames encroaching from all sides, though unhappy it has to come at such a price.

I'm feeling good about Christmas. I'm finished shopping. M is out in the wilds of capitalism on steroids (a.k.a. Cincinnati Mills Mall) right now finishing his up. I'm sitting home with the Christmas tree behind me all lit up and purdy. The dogs are wrestling on the floor. I'm drinking ginger tea. It's nice. It's quiet.

We're thinking of adding a chihuahua to our coterie of beasts. Hell, what's one more at this point?

I have slight apprehensions about the holiday that involve my brother's wife. We got her a decent gift, and I think we'll probably outgift her. I have no idea. I am trying my darndest to let those apprehensions go, and to just enjoy the time I have with non-crazy (well, non-mean, anyway) family. It'll be a challenge not to go all angstballistic, but I might be able to pull it off. We'll see.

I've been doing yoga. I think it is helping my sanity. I used to do it a lot, like for an hour or more every day, but I got away from it. Every now and then I get back into it and it helps me through whatever. Right now I'm trying to get M to do it more. He is not graced with a lot of natural flexibility and balance, but I think there is good potential for him to become more flexible. He got into a headstand the other night, which was good since we've been working on that for a couple weeks. I think he gets frustrated watching me stand on my head and twist into all sorts of weird shapes when he can't do it. I was born double-jointed though and remind him of that when he gets frustrated that he can't do what I'm doing. My arms twist around 540 degrees. It ain't natural.

I'm going to watch anime and drink tea tonight. And have blankets piled on top of me. Really, what more could you want on the shortest day of the year?

Happy winter, btw. First official day today, you know.

10 Comments:

At December 21, 2005 9:04 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

dang, that would add something to my day to see that out my office window!!

 
At December 21, 2005 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J. Don't the holidays bring out the best? I don't envy you hanging out w/ the wife over the holiday. Maybe when she sees your thoughtful gift she'll come around?

Freezing your ass up there still? I won't tell you its 75 degrees here this week. :-) Its ok, you can get back at me when its 120 here in the summer.

 
At December 22, 2005 12:18 AM, Blogger suleyman said...

A chihuahua wouldn't make it in that house, I think. The other dogs would break it.

Anime and tea on the shortest day of the year. Sounds damn good to me.

-Suley

 
At December 22, 2005 12:32 AM, Blogger Madam Sakura said...

Lol...I don't envy myself being here in NY either. It doesn't look like we are going into the city before I go home because we would have to walk everywhere and it is just too damn cold...=( I really wanted to go to the Museum Of Natural History. (I have never been, isn't that the saddest thing you ever heard?!)

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

 
At December 22, 2005 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a splendiferous solstice.

 
At December 22, 2005 12:13 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Have a very Merry Christmas! I'd love to see pics of the potential new pup, should you decide to get one. We always say 'what's one more?' too. LOL! And that is the reason that our Christmas tree sucks this year, because our one more kitten is a freakazoid and thinks it's just one giant toy for him.

 
At December 22, 2005 9:17 PM, Blogger BEGT said...

Happy winter to you too!

 
At December 23, 2005 12:25 AM, Blogger Fatma said...

Yoga is good.

There's nothing you going to gift that sister in law of yours that she's going to appreciate. Unless she has a change of heart. So no use working yourself over her.

i don't know why am not surprised this mosque bombing you mention haven't been talked about. We live in strange times.

Fitèna

 
At December 24, 2005 12:12 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I came by to wish you and M a very Merry Christmas!

 
At December 24, 2005 12:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your contemplation of adding a chihuahua to your brood reminded me of when I got pregnant with Jack. I thought "What the heck. What's one more!"

I hope you and M and the puppies (I refer to all dogs as puppies cuz they are so darn cute!) have a wonderful holiday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home