Thursday, September 15, 2005

A few quick thoughts

I woke up this morning shaking like crazy. I don't know why. I was so exhausted last night after all this not sleeping, I got in bed at 9:00. At 11:00, I was still awake, lying in bed seething at the dog, who would not stop LICKING. Man. It was driving me NUTS. She licked for TWO HOURS. How do you even DO that without your tongue falling off?

And then of course I woke up extra early this morning, for added fun. Sheesh.

Went to dinner with some of my family last night. My brother and his wife (the crazy one) bought me an orchid. I was kinda touched. He said she picked it out. Which surprised me; I thought the feeling of hatred I have toward her was mutual. So I thawed a little, but am still greatly upset by the things she said and did to my parents. Time will...I don't know, do something. I don't care to think about it just at the moment. The orchid is nice. It's yellow-ish, with a purple center. I'm sure there's a name for the center thingie on an orchid that sticks out but I don't know what it is and don't have time to look it up...

This same brother told us last night that he's leaving today to go down to New Orleans with a group of dudes from his work to help clean up crap. That's awesome. He works construction and they're basically going down there with a shitload of chainsaws to clear downed trees, which are still a huge problem blocking roads and covering peoples' houses so they can't get in them and stuff. He said he'll take lots of pictures. If I can get my hands on them, I'll post them on the bloginator.

Have I expressed my dislike for the word "blog" before? It's such a clunky, ugly word. There's got to be something better. I mean I might as well call this my "potato" or something, for all the heavy starchiness the word "blog" implies. Ick.

John Roberts, I see what you're trying to do and all, but answer the fucking questions already. Christ almighty.

Welcome lurkers! There are a spate of you making appearances. It makes me feel all...I don't know, validated and stuff. Thanks for leaving comments. By all means, please continue. :)

A continued call to those who want postcards: I have about five or six requests so far, and of course am eager for more. Believe me when I say I love to write postcards on trips. Email me your snail mail at j_star_katamari at yahoo dot com. As long as I get your address before, say, tomorrow at noon or so, I'll be sure to mail you a postcard of Badlands joy.

A quick survey: I was showering this morning and realized that I have four email addresses, each of which I use frequently. (These are the things I think about while I shower.) Is that a lot? It seems excessive to me. My survey question is this: How many email addresses do y'all have, and do you use them all a lot?

Geek out.

15 Comments:

At September 15, 2005 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it because 'blog' sounds like 'blob'? Yeah, I'm with you, its a dumb word.
I only have 2 email addresses. One work, one hotmail. Oh wait, I have a yahoo account too, but I only use that when I sign up for websites and don't want a bunch of junkmail to my other accounts. I never check it.
Good morning J. Star!

 
At September 15, 2005 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one. I'm disadvantaged.

 
At September 15, 2005 10:32 AM, Blogger suleyman said...

I regularly create fake email addresses through yahoo. I have at least three fake yahoo addresses, an old college email address, and my (real) gmail address.

So I guess that makes about five. But I only use two.

-Suley

 
At September 15, 2005 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me, I have 5 email addresses. 2 hotmail, 1 gmail, 1 from my university, and 1 from high school. There's the hotmail I use for personal email, the one I use for forums... gmail is where I forward all the big emails from hotmail and from my university... university is for jobs, and HS is for serious spam, internet contests and whatnot. I check it twice a year.
I fully support replacing "blog" with "potato." So does that mean we are in the potatosphere?
Cheers (raises glass) from heers,

 
At September 15, 2005 12:13 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I have 4: one for work, two for fun, and one for home. I use them frequently. And, I can still have up to 6 more gmail accounts. But I think that's a bit overboard, don't you?

 
At September 15, 2005 4:43 PM, Blogger paula said...

1. Licking for two hours. It's a chick thing.

2. I have 4 active email accounts, not including my work account. Not excessive IMHO.

mg

;)

 
At September 15, 2005 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have four active accounts and I use them all, too! In fact, I think you know three of the four. I also think you have my address already. Let me know if you need it again - you betcha I want a postcard! Make it one with lots of geology in it so I can share with my husband, the geologist!

Happy Birthday and have a great trip!

 
At September 15, 2005 6:47 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

A few months ago, I had 15 of them.... Now, I'm down to 5 I think... And two of them forward into my Mobile Device... So I read them all day long...

They are for different interests... One or two for seperate hobbies. One for work. One for General, One for my own e-mail storage (like newspapre articles I email to myself to save and file....

I might pare it down to 3 by year's end....

P.S. Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

 
At September 15, 2005 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I need to get you emailed, I keep forgetting!!! Your dog licked himself for two hours? And you permited this? OMG, I would have flipped out.

 
At September 15, 2005 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks about the sleeping situation. Hopefully you'll get some good rest on your vacation. Annoying noises (such as dogs licking) seem 10,000 times more annoying when you're trying to sleep and exhausted and can't. Been there.

I have 4 or 5 e-mail addresses, but I'm not even sure what they all are. I only use one.

I kind of like blog, it just wouldn't be the same if I wasn't blogging. However, I'd like to hear the word you'd come up with to use instead. No doubt it would be just as fun.

 
At September 15, 2005 9:18 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

Isn't that center thing in a flower called the "stamen" ?

Blog is a gross word. Like goop and angina LOL.

I wonder if you're insomnia is related to the upcoming vacation and all that anticipation? That happens to me.

Thanks for the Bill Maher words of wisdom. I hadn't seen or read that before - too funny and right on the money. :-)

 
At September 15, 2005 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have four email addresses that I check. I know I have an additional,uhm, like ten that I have created and not gone back to.

About John Roberts... sadly I have become convinced that he would be confirmed even if he did come out and say that he did not even care that the constitution existed. It seems that all presidential appointees (Rice, Bolton, etc, etc) meet a lot of objection and well, in this day and age, they still get where they mean to go. I am jaded.

Sad sad sad.

 
At September 15, 2005 10:33 PM, Blogger BEGT said...

It's great to hear that your brother will go help out. That's awesome. Hug him for me.

I have waaaaay to many email addresses... I use them all, but the one I used the most is the one at school. Then I use my 2 yahoo accounts, then my hotmail one, then i have a gmail one, I have 1 yahoo that I only check every blue moon, and I think that's it. Oh! I have one at work, but that one is only for the office...

I know... that's a lot.

 
At September 15, 2005 10:55 PM, Blogger Raehan said...

Well I happen to like potatoes, so I'm going to call my blog a potato from now on.


E-mail addresses? Too friggin many. At least six.

 
At September 16, 2005 10:09 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

I have at least 8 or 9 email addresses. it is out of control..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home