Saturday, September 10, 2005

Weirdness abounds

It's almost like there's something in the air.

So I hurried to work this morning, to get that crud done, and when I got there the crud we needed from the programmers in India so that we could do *our* crud wasn't ready. Rrrr. Got all up outta my bed on a Saturday morning and went to the office and...couldn't do the work. So a friend was there doing some of his work and I dragged him off and we went to Eden Park and took a bunch of fun pictures of ducks and each other jumping off a swing and this weird statue there of Remus and Romulus. Yes, Cincinnati has a big bronze statue of two babies suckling on a wolf. And the babies are anatomically correct. As you no doubt noticed.

I went back to the office and we finally got what we needed around 11:30, and I worked on that until three and then stopped at the conservatory to take some pics and then drove home. On the way home I saw a car smashed up into a bridge piling. It was a pretty decent wreck, had traffic backed up, but there was only one cop there taking care of it. I thought, that's weird...once I got past the wreck I noticed there was a bunch of crap in the road, like a truck had lost its load or something--wood scraps and other random detritus. And then in less than half a mile, I saw a lot of flashing lights and a mess and traffic just slowed waaay down. I was like, wtf, I have to deal with rush hour traffic on Saturday too? I don't get enough of that during the week? I moved with traffic closer to the mess and saw stuff that made my stomach go all off. I think it was the worst wreck I've ever seen.

Here's a pic I snapped while driving by, but it doesn't do it justice. Click it for the larger view. There were people running everywhere, and the semi was involved in the wreck too and behind this flipped-over car, sort of behind that cluster of people the running cop is headed for, were a bunch more smashed-up cars. There was what looked like a corpse on a cot on the side of the road, and a lot of paramedics around someone else on a gurney. The whole highway was shut down and traffic was backed way up going south. As I drove north of it I saw people out of their cars walking around like they'd been there for ages--which made the fact that cops and random dudes were still running all over around the wreck even weirder. I don't know if there was still someone in that car, or trapped in one of the other wrecked cars, or what. I just checked the news and they had 75 South closed for five hours cleaning this up.

Which explains why there was only one cop taking care of the dude who drove himself into the bridge piling.

Saphenous, I'm thinking this right here is a pretty bad way to go. It more or less put my kvetch that I had to go to work on a Saturday right into perspective.

I went home and crawled back into bed for some sleep, which I didn't really get. I kept slipping into this nightmarish state where I was trying to do things in a dream, but my mind was, I don't know, collapsing out from under me and not letting me concentrate enough to do what I was trying to do, and I kept yelling at myself in my sleep. That went on for about two hours. Very restful. (Ha!)

I woke up and cleaned the house just to try to feel normal.

My ma called later in the evening to let me know my grandma had been in a car wreck today too (thankfully not that car wreck). She was driving under a railroad bridge on a part of US 50 that dips low to go under the bridge and then rises back up. She smashed into the back of someone and totaled her car. My grandma is about 73 or 74 and very fat and very frail. She messed herself up, got some cuts and gashes and spent some time in the hospital today but they didn't keep her overnight. I'm going to call her tomorrow and maybe bring her some lunch or something. She's been driving this old K car for years and wrecking it fairly regularly because she is the world's worst driver (I mean it, she's so frail she can't even turn her head to look around her, and frequently drives into grass and mailboxes and on the wrong side of the road and it's one of God's great wonders she hasn't killed herself or someone else yet). I know the AARP would have my head on a platter for saying this, but I believe fully and completely in retesting people for their licenses once they pass age 65. My grandmother would fail and the world would be a safer place.

I'm so tired. Why am I still awake? I don't know. I'm going to bed. What a long, weird day. I'd kind of like tomorrow to be normal, please. That's all. A normal Sunday.

10 Comments:

At September 10, 2005 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ang Lee's gay cowboy film wins Venice Golden Lion
World travel and annual medical insurance plans from independent advisors Medibroker International.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked!

I've got a natural penis enlargement no stretching related site. It covers natural penis enlargement no stretching related articles.

Drop by when you can.

 
At September 11, 2005 12:00 AM, Blogger Lurid said...

Ha ha! That spam is so funny that I'm going to leave it there. I got spam about a penis on a post with a picture of a penis! Lol!

 
At September 11, 2005 12:31 AM, Blogger suleyman said...

Hahaha! And a child's penis, no less.

Dude, you live in Cincinnati. There's a statue of Cincinnatus up there, too, clutching a fasces. I'm sure that town is full of Roman imagery.

That's the kind of wreck we ran into while driving through Oregon. Sad to hear about your nana. At least she's okay. And I'm with you on the license thing.

Oh, and you're about to get me started on Zhang Ziyi. That cowboy hat pic is "giggity, giggity...awwwright."

-Suley

 
At September 11, 2005 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet! You should probably forward the penis-spam on to those babies... may as well start them early... GO TO BED, M!

 
At September 11, 2005 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so awful to see a car wreck, but good to realize that it can happen to anyone, anytime. we took the keys away from grandma at some point, naybe that time has come for yours as well. they don't like it, but vehicular homicide is worse.

 
At September 11, 2005 1:00 PM, Blogger Tay Hota said...

wonderul blog, love your style. tell me: what camera do you use?

 
At September 11, 2005 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you get your wish for normalcy today...

 
At September 11, 2005 4:56 PM, Blogger Madam Sakura said...

I like green eggs and SPAM! Ha! That is too damn funny!

 
At September 11, 2005 9:50 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

I must say, I had to take quite a close look at the penis picture, and have confirmed that it is anatomically correct. hahahah.

hope your grandmother is OK.

 
At September 11, 2005 10:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I was here earlier today. I saw my middle child walk up out of the corner of my eye. Because of the photo, I closed the window right away. He wanted to know why I was looking at a penis. Sheesh. I shooed him away.

The Deputy woke up and middle child proceded to tell him I was looking at a penis on the puter. Now, we all know he will go to daycare tomorrow and tell them that his mommy likes to look at penis' on the puter.

Glad your granny is okay. We had to BEG my grandma, who is 97, to give up her license last year. Old people on the road sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home