Thursday, August 25, 2005

I disagree.

Today I saw:
  • A super-hot girl wearing a very short skirt and riding a Vespa lazily and happily through downtown. Maybe you'd see this sort of thing in a coastal city, or even Chicago. You do not see this sort of thing in Cincinnati. Ever.
  • A lot of sky. I don't know why I kept looking at the sky today. I took a bike ride tonight and was staring up at the cloud bank moving in and I hit a speed bump in a campground and very nearly spilled myself all over the road. That stupid speed bump never used to be there.
  • A yellow mountain bike with no seat chained to a parking meter.
  • Some dude in Burrito Joe's who kept staring at me like he knew me. I don't think I've ever seen him before.
  • A lot of boring technical shit about supply chains and distribution lines that I had to proof.
  • A three-car wreck on the highway, and a bunch of people standing on the side of the road next to their busted-ass cars, talking on cell phones.
  • A gnat, up reeeeeeeal close, when it drowned in my eye while I was out riding my bike.
  • A lot of laundry. Which I folded.
  • Sunlight through trees. Insects. Cracked pavement. Broken glass. A spiderweb.
  • M. taking both Pepto and Immodium. I don't think you're supposed to take both of those things. I'm thinking one or the other.
Today I heard:
  • Someone at work say, "I feel like stabbing myself in the eye right now."
  • A bunch of crud on NPR, which I'm addicted to.
  • That Eurythmics song "Sweet Dreams." What a damn fine song that is.
  • Some remixed Everything But the Girl stuff. Good.
  • The alarm clock. The dryer buzzer. The microwave's beep. The phone.
  • Crickets outside. My dogs barking.
  • The water cycling through the filter in the aquarium, in which the oscar and the cichlids are still getting along and not ramming each other to shreds.
  • My ears ringing constantly, because I think my iPod is making me deaf. I need new headphones. Those earbuds are dangerous business. I keep it turned down to less than half volume because I read two-thirds volume is enough to cause hearing damage. Even at half-volume my ears are ringing like mad. Not good.
Today I tasted:
  • Fried rice. For breakfast.
  • Burritoes.
  • Cereal.
  • Pretzels and whole-wheat crackers.
  • A stick of gum.
  • That taste you get in your mouth when you exert yourself mightily in pursuit of some goal, i.e. getting up a big hill on a bike.
Today I smelled:
  • Cigarettes, smoked by people at the bases of buildings all through the city.
  • The stinky lunch my boss was eating.
  • Sticky city street crud.
  • That musty smell my car has developed ever since I left the windows down during the deluge about a month ago.
  • Campfire smoke. In a campground. That I rode my bike through. And hit a speedbump in.
  • My dogs. They smell goooooood.
Today I felt:
  • The wind on my body as I rode through the street that goes through the woods on my bike.
  • The temperature of the air change from warm to cool when I rode out of the suburbs and into the woods.
  • The same headache I've had almost every day for the past three weeks.
  • Frustrated. Angry. Hungry. Tired. Glad. Scared. Amused. Out of breath. Hot.
  • My leg falling asleep because I jam it up under my butt while I'm proofing, because to sit in an Aeron chair the way one was meant to is boring.
I bet you have Sweet Dreams in your head now, don't you. Muahahahaha...

16 Comments:

At August 26, 2005 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR! WOO HOO! I'm telling you, I'm totally addicted.
There's campgrounds in Cincinnati? I, myself, plan on smelling just like a campfire this time tomorrow. Wanna come? You could bring M and we could all look at the close-up Mars together. :-) (you going to try pics of that for the weekend??)

 
At August 26, 2005 3:37 AM, Blogger Alison said...

Cool entry.

 
At August 26, 2005 6:50 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

I have find myself fascinated by the sky the last few days as well.

and, there is pretty much nothing worse, in my opinion, than smelling someone else's lunch.. yuck.

and, no worries on the pepto and immodium mixture, I have done that on many occasions. you have to offset it with some fibercon when you get to feeling better. Too much information??

 
At August 26, 2005 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do have that damn song in my head and - don't hate me, but I can't stand Annie Lenox. Ugh.

I love this post...it's nice to stop and think about all of the senses that you use during the course of the day. I tend to get stuck in "feelings" or "sights"...Nice.

 
At August 26, 2005 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this weekend mars weekend? pooooooooop- we had so many big plans for that-

uhm, fried rice for breakfast is a good idea

 
At August 26, 2005 8:01 AM, Blogger BEGT said...

You had fried rice for breakfast?!!!!! And what was your boss eating that stank?!
I like the post... exciting day ;)

 
At August 26, 2005 10:06 AM, Blogger d.K. said...

You guessed it. Fortunately, I'm telecommuting today, sitting right now at my super-uber over accessorized VAIO desktop w/ sub-woofer etc., and most importantly, my iTunes library which fortunately contains the Eurythmics Greatest Hits ... Whew! (Sweet Dreams are Made of This also appears here from the soundtrack of "Duets" by someone named Maria Bello - not terrible but also not Annie Lenox. :))

 
At August 26, 2005 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I'm just busy trying to imagine Vespa chick. Was her Vespa Ducati Desmo Yellow and did she have pink hair? If so, then I'm all over that.

This wasn't a Haruko sighting was it?

If not, I'm still all over that.

-Suley

 
At August 26, 2005 11:59 AM, Blogger Lara said...

That's actually a great list! Seriously, it would probably make for a better day if people stopped and thought about what they saw, heard, tasted, etc., instead of just stumbling through their day blindly.

 
At August 26, 2005 12:06 PM, Blogger Allan said...

I need to make lists more often.

Perhaps it would help make sense of the life I lead.

 
At August 26, 2005 12:51 PM, Blogger Heather said...

We don't sit in our ergonomically correct chair either. I always end up hunched over with my elbow leaning on my knees. Makes my back hurt worse than a regular chair.

 
At August 26, 2005 1:24 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

Wow...you had a sensational day! (silly pun intended)
Great entry, wonderful way to sum up your day.

 
At August 26, 2005 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, thanks so much for the concern. :) It's been a rough week, but I'm starting to feel better and deal with crap.

That's a very creative way of logging your day. I like it.

Spackle is a great word.

Great pictures, as usual, your bathroom looks like it's coming along!

Have a grrrreat weekend. :)

 
At August 26, 2005 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow optimum use of your sense! i ought to make a list like that someday.

 
At August 27, 2005 10:21 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I like that you're paying attention to everyday things, that no one bothers to notice anymore. Great post!!

 
At August 28, 2005 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had a Vespa! Hey, great description of a groovy day - if you are synesthesiac (synesthesiactical?) you must be going nuts! I liked kross-eyed kitty's pun, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home