Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Needles and ink and flesh, oh my

My gift to M for his birthday back in July was that I'd pay for him to get a tattoo. I was surprised at how far ahead the studio was booked; his appointment was today, which is almost three weeks after his birthday. But the boy got himself a tattoo, and he is walking around grinning like a monkey with six bananas. I'm glad he's happy. It's a good feeling to give someone a gift that they are not pretending to like, that they obviously and genuinely are thrilled to death with.

So here it is, all fresh and gooey. I'll take more pictures of it once it isn't so fresh and gooey and shiny and kinda yech. He said it hurt less than he thought it would. The tail will stick out the sleeve of his sheriff uniform in the summer when they wear the short-sleeved shirts. I imagine it will be uncomfortable for the next few days; those shirts are made of the shittiest polyester on earth. When I got my ball-of-the-arm tattoo, I wore sleeveless shirts until it scabbed over, and when I got the two on my neck, I just wanted to walk around naked all the time because it hurt to touch them.

I feel less la-la today, but more like my mind is closer to the ground. My mind is supposed to be at my height, but yesterday it was in the clouds and today it's hovering somewhere around my knees. My body feels heavy and tired. I don't know why. It's not really bad, necessarily, just kinda...weird. I took a whole bunch of pictures tonight and that made me feel better. I'll have to organize them and get them up on Flickr at some point but not tonight.

The moon is large--almost full. I love to look at the moon. I've taken pictures of it every day this week, which means I've wound up with a folder full of moon pics on my desktop and I can make a little animation of its phases if I want to. This camera is incredible. You can see the moon's belly button with it.

God, what would I do if I couldn't take pictures? I shudder to think. It's becoming an obsession.

13 Comments:

At August 18, 2005 1:14 AM, Blogger Raehan said...

I took a good look at the moon last night when i was walking the dog. It was almost full. You're right.

That tatoo is pretty but it looks sore. Are you sure it didn't hurt.

 
At August 18, 2005 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A world without cameras and pictures? I don't even want to imagine it. As far as M's tattoo goes...ouch.

 
At August 18, 2005 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tattoo-ed sheriff? i wouldn't mess with him- nice moon- say... isn't mars supposed to be closer to earth than it will be in like some amount of thousands of years? its supposed to be huge in the sky at some point between like august or october or am i just having really believable dreams???

 
At August 18, 2005 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice job on the tattoo, sharp colors. that shot of the moon is beautiful, might make a good tattoo by itself.

 
At August 18, 2005 10:02 AM, Blogger BEGT said...

I love the pictures! That's a nice looking tatoo... although I don't recall seeing a sheriff with a tatoo ever :P
I can't wait to see all those moon pics on flikr :)

 
At August 18, 2005 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha, J. Star mooned us.

 
At August 18, 2005 10:42 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Wow! That's quite some tattoo! I like the colours in it and the workmanship looks excellent.
I thought it WAS a full moon last night, work was so crazy!

 
At August 18, 2005 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you mean you 'shutter' to think? BWAHAHAHA! I know, too early for that.
You would love the view from my house of the full moon over the Superstition Mountains outside of Phx. It is huge and gorgeous coming up over the mountains. Again, which I could take a picture to do that justice.

 
At August 18, 2005 9:14 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

Nice tat. Great idea for a gift! It's definitely not going to get lost or broken :)
I have my one and only tat in the same place, and there is a part that extends down just below the sleeve of a short sleeved shirt as well. It's a cool idea. Nice work and colors!

 
At August 18, 2005 9:14 PM, Blogger Heather said...

OUUUCCCH!

 
At August 18, 2005 9:43 PM, Blogger Kim said...

That is an awesome tattoo! Not sure if I'd want to sport it, but it's awesome.

The moon picture is amazing!!

 
At August 18, 2005 9:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LMAO!!! YOU GOT MAJORLY SPAMMED!!!

I am sorry, but this is so funny. I thought it was bad enough over at mine, but you got SUPER spammed! Geez, you see the size of that thing?!

That is a great tattoo. The Deputy was impressed that a little could show out from under the uniform. Around here, no way. He has one on his upper arm. I have NO tattooes. I couldn't bare the pain. I am wimpy.

I think your gift was a great idea! I might have to give the Deputy one for his birthday. (Next year.) Great choice!

 
At August 19, 2005 7:36 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Beautiful tattoo but way too painful looking. I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home