Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Everything is the same shade

I geeked out big time for a while tonight watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I sometimes put my love for Motoko Kusanagi by the wayside, but when I see her in action it all comes flooding back. There's this part in the second box set when she's standing outside in a hospital parking lot at night and the sun is just about to set, and everything is flooded with this deep yellow-orange light and it's nearly overwhelming to me with its creation of a mood I can taste and smell and almost wrap my hands around. Lately I feel so tuned in to color. I think I mumbled something about that in an earlier post and didn't expound upon it; what I mean is, while I may not be fully synesthetic, sometimes I am so overwhelmed by color that it floods everything else, to the point where it's difficult to function, to hold my head up and breathe and be. I can't explain it well. But the color orange can turn me inside out sometimes. Maybe I'll write more about that in the future, maybe I won't, I don't know. I'm sort of drunk right now so tonight's not the night to expound on my effed up neural processes.

The weather continues to be amazing, wonderful, beautiful, all those adjectives you say when you really like a thing. I really like the weather. The humidity has dropped to around fifty percent, quite a change from the eight-five percent it was hovering at for three months and making life miserable. I took a walk today at lunch and didn't get out of breath once. When I got home this evening, I poked around in my picture-taking trance. Thanks to some kind people on Flickr, I've figured out how to get into super macro mode on my camera, and took some pictures of what interested me in my yard. New set on Flickr here. It's not very organized, but you can kind of see what I was doing. Hopefully those super macro skills will improve.

Okay, I believe I promised some of you pictures of my wretched bathroom. How geeky am I if I clean it before I take pictures of it? I did. I was too embarrassed. Here you can see a fine example of the gaping hole where the medicine chest goes, as well as the busted vent and the showerhead and the gnasty-as-hell walls with some of the paint stripped off but the rest still clinging on for dear life.



And here are the tools that are hopefully going to help us fix this mess that I've created. It's great having two brothers who work in construction. With any luck I can convince M to belt-sand the rest of the paint off the walls tomorrow; he's off work and I'm not. He was also supposed to wash the bedding today because of a little early-morning, erm, "indiscretion" that got the sheets sort of bodily-fluidy, as in right on my fucking pillow, but he didn't wash them so now I have to sleep in...

Ahem. Anyway. So that's the bathroom. It's a mess, and hopefully soon I'll be posting some "after" pics that are a whole lot less ugly.

I have to set some kind of rule for myself. I have a limited amount of time each day in which I can be creative. Lately, I have an unlimited supply of creativity. Which usually means that what I do with that creativity comes out in a big jumbled mess with no self-editing. It's all been poured into photography lately, but I want to channel some of it back into writing, because I have a story brewing that I want/need to put down but there simply haven't been enough hours in the day lately. I think I've got to force myself to put the camera down and remove myself from the room it's in if I'm going to get anything else done.

It's late. I'd better go to bed. Somebody tell me to put my damn camera down so I can get stuff done...

13 Comments:

At August 24, 2005 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put your damn camera down!

By the way, Motoko Kusanagi is so badass (no i havent watched the movie but base on that picture you have at the side). Im so gonna watch that movie now. Oh and what a bathroom! Good luck with it. heh. :)

 
At August 24, 2005 4:42 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

eeeek! wash the sheets, TODAY!!! No, right now. as soon as you read this, get up, strip the bed, and wash the sheets. promise????

good luck with the bathroom.....

 
At August 24, 2005 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you don't have to know this like i do but they have those irritating fridge magnets that say crap like 'dirty homes make happy lives' or 'interesting women have dirty kitchens'... i would make one about scummy sheets- i have a fever of 101 this morning and am capable of being gross or annoying the hell out of people so maybe i shouldn't be commenting on people's blogs- oh yeah- in case i made it seem otherwise... i do wash my sheets-

 
At August 24, 2005 9:11 AM, Blogger d.K. said...

The bathroom doesn't look that bad; then again, you cleaned it so one can only imagine what it was like.

I read somewhere that some really creative people actually "smell" colors. I wonder if that is the sort of neuron misfire you have with colors. "Misfire" in a positive sense, obviously...

You'll have to show the after pics of the bathroom when it's done, to compare with the before pics. We'll take your word for it on the linens, though. ;-)

 
At August 24, 2005 10:20 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Love your photos! (On flikr) Some of those weeds actually look like insects, doncha think?
Oh, and at the VERY least...SWITCH PILLOWS!!!!

 
At August 24, 2005 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

life is so much better without humidity. the bathroom needs some love, good luck with that, it will be cool to read the story soon.

 
At August 24, 2005 1:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, at least get that pillow off your bed honey! And I expected the bathroom to be a lot worse than that. Its a walk in the park!

Make sure you show the after pictures. And hey... why didn't anybody tell me I was Michele's site of the day?! I didn't know until after lunch. Here people are greeted by my possible job prospects. yeesh!

 
At August 24, 2005 2:35 PM, Blogger Jen said...

ok, i was expecting a MUCH WORSE looking bathroom. that's not bad at all!

and don't ever turn off your creativity switch- it's what makes you so damn fun to read about. having an unlimited supply of creativity is just about the best thing in the world.

you do remind me of me. A lot. it's like i have all these non-stop projects going at once and i can't channel in on just one of them. whether it's taking photos, designing graphics/web (what i do by day), building crazy sculptures out of random materials, writing or designing clothing, it never ends. my brain doesn't stop. AND i also start "room" projects that i never finish. (at least you'll probably finish yours)

Never put your camera down. Ever. You amaze me with your work. For real. Someday I'll get some albums together of my photos. They don't compete with yours though.

PS- do you have a zoom on the camera? how did you get so close to the moon? I can do that with my 35mm (b/c of a zoom lens), but not my digital.

 
At August 24, 2005 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got madd love for Motoko as well. Not as fine as Faye Valentine (of Bebop), but she's up there.

-Suley

 
At August 24, 2005 4:12 PM, Blogger paula said...

Switch pillows, turn it over, take the case off.. SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

 
At August 24, 2005 8:26 PM, Blogger BEGT said...

You don't need to put your camera down. I absolutely LOVE the new set of pictures you have in Flickr!!!

 
At August 24, 2005 9:53 PM, Blogger Heather said...

It makes me tired to look at all that work!

 
At August 24, 2005 10:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by today! It is nice to see regular face around! Holy shit, I have spent the last two hours visiting people that visited me. Blog etiquette ya know.

I am going to lay down for the night. Being site of the day is a rush, but now I have hit bottom. Phew!

Check back with ya in a couple of days. The Deputy will be in charge tomorrow! (Biting my fingernails...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home