Sunday, August 14, 2005

The meme monster

...has finally arrived. E, I would give you a noogie if I could.

Many thanks for the comments on my previous post; it wasn't the easiest to write, and I still don't feel that I did our relationship justice--probably no words could--but it's nice to know that others know about it now, even if I don't know any of you in real life. I don't really talk about that relationship with anyone, because I just butcher it when I try to, and it hurts to say words because there are so many memories that I know I could never draw an accurate picture of in anyone else's mind.

A few random updates: I went to Spring Grove Cemetery yesterday, which is (I think) Cincinnati's biggest one, where all the rich and famous and rich and rich people are buried. I've been there so many times, and every time, I find new things--as in, about 90% of my visit is seeing new things. It's that big. I've never taken photos of the same statues on two different visits. Yesterday, it was ninety-seven degrees and I knew it probably wasn't the wisest choice to go, but after the past two weeks working on the project of doom, I needed to get out and flex some creative muscle. I have a backlog of creativity that I need to do something with. I walked around for about an hour and a half, until I thought I was going to get sick or fall over from the heat. I had to stop and go sit in my car with the air conditioning on a couple times but even that didn't help much. BUT, I took some pictures I'm pleased with. You can see them on Flickr; that link will take you directly to the photostream that has yesterday's pictures. I am now Flickr Pro. Go me. I spent dollars so I could organize virtual sets.

One other thing before I meme. If you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, I'd suggest you do. I watched it last night. I can't emphasize enough how lucky I feel to live where I do, and even how guilty that I am complicit in my inaction.

Moving along. I've been tagged. E, at My Life in Retrospect, has asked me to do this, and so here she goes.

These are not true introductions; they're from my blogroll, and you've visited them, so I'm just going to tell you why I like them.

First, pick 5 neighbors to introduce me to who will then introduce us all to 5 other neighbors:

These are not true introductions; they're from my blogroll, and you've visited them, so I'm just going to tell you why I like them, in no particular order.

1) The Examining Room of Dr. Charles. I like this one a lot because of the writing. It's strong, it's clear, you can immediately understand what he's telling you.

2) Permanent Daylight. It's good to get a scoop that's more "inside" than any I'll have. I like the perspective.

3) Mystic Housewife. Quirky sense of humor.

4) Converse and Pop Rocks. This one isn't on my roll, but it ought to be. I don't know why I like it. I think it's because you don't see that kind of humor that much from a kid that age. If you read her subtext, you'll see as you go that she has a lot more interesting things going on in her life than it first appears--the posts about her mother's boyfriend are out there.

5) Agog and Aghast. First, she's got a picture from the Cincinnati Art Museum on there, which is just cool. Second, she's funny. Third, she's got a kick-ass site design.

(To other readers--don't be sad I'm not including you! Y'all are on my blogroll because I love your blogs. The directions were to introduce the tagger to ones I think she'll like, and that's these five.)

Here's the link to Tongue Tyed so she can see her meme spreading far and wide.

The rest of this thing:

When did you move to the neighborhood?

I came to Blogger from Blog.com in May. Like it much better here. My first blog.com entries were in April of this year.

What region of the neighborhood are you from?

I live in Springdale, a suburb of Cincinnati. It's a dirty city with a lot of interesting things in it.

What is your favorite part of our neighborhood?

Uh...I like dirty secrets. Please tell me them.

What is your favorite place to visit around these parts?

I hate pickin' favorites. Everyone is on my blogroll because I'm junkies of their blog. Blog junkie. Yaar.

Since I just moved into a new house, I might want to take a short trip to a local place or area. Where would you suggest in your region?

Spring Grove Cemetery, because it's beautiful and big. Khrone Conservatory, because they have a bunch of confiscated orchids people have tried to smuggle into the U.S. The Dock, because until you've grooved and sweated with a bunch of shirtless gay men deep into the night, you haven't lived. (They don't call Cincinnati the Queen City for nothin'.) The top of the Carew Tower, because it's high in the sky.

Jenelle, forgive me for tagging you next.

Oy. Memes. Sheesh.

Anyway, E., I do appreciate all the nice things you said about me. :) And I like to YM you too. Buzz. Word. More wine. More talk of secrets.

I have spent three hours at the computer today. I believe this officially makes me a geek.

10 Comments:

At August 14, 2005 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J, thanks for being such a good sport! I promise I won't do this to you again! Tonight, after my "to do" list is complete, I will sit down and check out these sites. I already read Dr. Charles - and I agree with you - love how he writes!
And yes...three hours on a sunny Sunday, definitely makes you a geek!
:)

 
At August 14, 2005 8:14 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

J,
Have you been to New Orleans? The statues on the tombs in the cemetaries are great, but sadly, many of the most intricate ones have been pillaged over the years (and turn up in antique shops on Royal Street). Nice photos.

 
At August 15, 2005 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you get my email? three hours at a computer might not make you a geek... sometimes it just means i am tired and lazy:)

 
At August 15, 2005 11:08 AM, Blogger Spenceman said...

Thanks so much for listing my blog on your places to visit. I really appreciate it. I'm sure that if I do one of the "memes" I'll list your blog as well.

Thanks again!

 
At August 15, 2005 11:54 AM, Blogger Raehan said...

Hi! First I want to thank for mentioning me in such a complimentary way in this meme.

Second, I want to tell you that I've been trying to come over here and comment for a couple of days now (and blogroll you), but everyime I try to access you on my laptop, the computer freezes for some reason.

I love your blog and your writing. You are very real and talented. So let me give his blogrolling thing another try.

 
At August 15, 2005 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back! So I can't even begin to catch up on everything... but, 3 hours doesn't make you a geek. I'm very glad to hear that project is over and you're free of that source of stress. I really like the Violet picture, and the explanation of deja-vu.

 
At August 15, 2005 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back! So I can't even begin to catch up on everything... but, 3 hours doesn't make you a geek. I'm very glad to hear that project is over and you're free of that source of stress. I really like the Violet picture, and the explanation of deja-vu.

 
At August 15, 2005 11:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

J, your pictures are wonderful. I love to roam around cemeteries. Some of the stones are so beautiful. I will have to keep your cemetery in mind in case I ever make it back to Cincy.

 
At August 16, 2005 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I real enjoyed browsing your blog,especially like your statue series. PS Thankyou for the comment on my cabbage!!

 
At August 16, 2005 7:45 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

if 3 hours at the computer make you a geek, I am an uber-geek I suppose.

I like old cemetaries too..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home