Sunday, April 02, 2006

Big, fat, lip.

I know this blog has been suckin' lately. I know. I have not been in much of a writing mood. Plus sitting at the computer is not all that comfy because of the arm sling. But hey, only like, 20 more days of that...sigh...

That lip thing I was complaining about a month or so ago, I got that taken care of Saturday morning. Lip surgery. Almost as much fun as shoulder surgery! In addition to the busted wing, I now have a busted lip, which is all fat and swollen and purple and has stitches in it. Let me tell you how much fun lip stitches are. No really. Let me tell you.

No, I won't tell you. You can probably imagine.

So, ha ha ha! ha ha! I have to eat with my left hand, which I am not all that good at, and put food into my mouth which I can only open partway, and my motor skills suck, so when I eat, ha ha! ha! I get food all over myself. In addition to the pain. Having to take Percocet just to eat is...aw, fuck.

Just fuck, man. Fuck fuck fuck.

Sigh.

Can I cram a little more gloom and doom into one post? No? Okay.

I'll talk about photos instead.

Being laid up has forced me into editing a backlog of photos and into learning new editing techniques. I've joined the HDR craze. Check it out:

This is probably going to look too dark on your monitor, because I realized recently that I have a monitor calibration problem that is not a good thing for a pro-photographer wannabe to have. But, I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet. Maybe one day.

Anyway what is going on in this photo is that I have laid three exposures of the same scene (M's muddy truck) over one another, and then generated a high dynamic range image, and then mapped the tones so that each part of the photo is similarly exposed (which sounds very complicated but isn't). If you want to try this yourself, here's the basic version of how:

Get a tripod. Take three pictures of the exact same scene. Underexpose the first one, regularly expose the middle one, and overexpose the third one. Download Photomatix Pro from www.hdrsoft.com. Follow the tutorial here and here. Voila.

Other HDR madness of mine can be seen here. In some instances, I like the CG-ish look this gives photos, in other instances, I don't.

It's late. I'm going to bed. Because I so enjoy waking up in agony every three hours.

10 Comments:

At April 02, 2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm realy loving your HDR stuff. Now that I have CS2, I will have to give it a try.

 
At April 03, 2006 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Allan said.

 
At April 03, 2006 4:05 AM, Blogger Fatma said...

What alison said about what allan said!

You poor poor baby, what to say? It'll get better dear!

Fitèna

 
At April 03, 2006 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN
the lip, too?? You have my sympathy for sure!! Damn!!! I hope you feel better soon? I am sure that is sort of an irritating phrase at this point... but damn!!!!!

 
At April 03, 2006 7:53 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

awwwww...you poor thing!

 
At April 03, 2006 8:16 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

You're not doing so well these days, are you? Poor thing. Hope you heal soon.
I'm really loving that pelican photo...it's beautiful!

 
At April 03, 2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh man, hope you feel better soon. YOu're all hemmed up over there.

The photo rocks on my monitor. Nice one.

I hear ya on the non-writing spurts. I go through them all the time. Now taht I'm trying ot keep a new blog AND myspace page, it's even harder. but I just use the same material and call it a day. >:)

 
At April 04, 2006 12:06 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Your blog never sucks. ;-)

 
At April 04, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Greg said...

You need to get well, dammit!! At least your lip and arm are taken care of. Just don't let anything happend to a lef or to a foot.

 
At April 04, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Tay Hota said...

thanks so much for the comment. sincerely, it means a lot. funny thing about that is that my best friend signs her comments J, and I read that three times thinking it was her (except I couldn't figure out the physical part...) you've given me a lot to think about, and I appreciate that. may we both get better (fuck soon) NOW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home