Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Fish scales and rivercrunk

Today is the first day I’ve felt a little less like a visiting alien and a little more like this is the place I belong. Not a hundred percent though—that, I think, will never happen. I’ve been using the temporary fix to get through the day of asking myself about every little thing, will this matter if an asteroid causes planetary obliteration in twenty-four years? Not surprisingly, the answer is usually, ha ha! Of course not!

Which is freeing, but maybe not the best worldview to have, just in case that asteroid misses or Bruce Willis blows it up or some shit. So tonight I’m going to pull off the shelves the dusty philosophy tomes I haven’t read since I was a philosophy major and dropped out of school seven years ago, and have a gander into trying to reconstruct some sort of appropriate way of living that doesn’t involve hoping a meteor will turn Earth into a cosmic cinder.

Hopefully, that also means I’ll get on track enough to start reading others’ blogs again and leaving comments that don’t have to do with resignation to the fickle hands of fate.

Speaking of which, Sweet, when are you going to start a blog? C’mon. It’s not that hard. You don’t even have to post anything of quote-unquote value. You can write about cat turds and people will read it. See? I just wrote about a cat turd, and you read it.

If anyone has any burningly passionate recommendations of philosophers you think I ought to read to get my head out of God’s ass, please recommend. (If we’re really made in his image, which I have doubts about on around sixteen hundred and two levels, then God poops too.)

Okay.

11 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my man has a philosophy degree- he is always telling me to read stuff that i never get around to reading- i will pay attention and let you know

 
At October 05, 2005 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have NO recommendations on philosophers. Maybe Oprah... LMAO! Sorry. It is a little joke around here...

 
At October 05, 2005 12:59 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh Dear God .... another philosophy major. Oy. I married one.

 
At October 05, 2005 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude.
poo is always funny.

always.

 
At October 05, 2005 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I always really liked the Upanishads. Haven't picked it up in a few years, but I liked it at the time.

 
At October 05, 2005 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a former philosophy major asking for advice on philosophers...hmmm...I won't even try.

Good luck getting your head out of God's ass, though...

 
At October 05, 2005 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bro! long time no see!
man.. it's been a long time since my last visit to your blog.. hey, you changed too ! hehe..
i've been through a lot lately.. downs, & lately ups.. life's full of surprises.. thank god for that..
hey, i'll link you up okay? catch you later.. take care! :)
p/s: add a tagboard.. it's fun! hehe.. :)

 
At October 05, 2005 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pheew, philosophy major, what a brave soul. I ventured into one single solitary philosophy class last year and dropped it after two weeks.

Haha, I read about a cat turd today.

Oh, and glad to provide some laughter with the salad escapade. :)

 
At October 06, 2005 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi J

thanks for stopping by my blog. the wiccan comment was about me...I believe Wicca is bad. Yes, yes, I know they are supposed to be good and nice and gentle and love your neighbor. But I don't believe Wicca is good, as it deals with casting spells and whatnot. So naturally, I am not real excited about the idea of having a teacher in a public school expound how great Wicca is to my kid, in their impressionable teenage years.

Naturally I wouldn't expect you to agree with me about my opinion of Wicca, it is my own personal deal.

My info about Wicca come from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

 
At October 06, 2005 12:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

J, thanks for your nice compliment on mom's story. It truly means a lot coming from such a good writer like yourself!

 
At October 10, 2005 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only people Cincinnati will feel 100% like home for are Germanic midwesterners who are xenophobic, geocentric ("damn, thems sum beeg wurds!"), call spaghetti "chili" and support the killing of blacks through their police force.

Yay for them.

Ugh. So glad to be outta that place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home