Saturday, October 01, 2005

Fire is pretty.

I got up this morning with the idea that I was going to get a lot of things done, but I got only as far as creating a list of things to do that went something like this:

1) Make a list of all the shit you have to do today.
2) Drink heavily.

I only accomplished number one before I felt so depressed that I had to go back to bed, where I unfortunately did not fall back to sleep, I just sort of laid there for a while feeling marooned. Crappy emotions continued on and off throughout the day, but I started feeling a little better tonight. The jury's still out on whether this is just a temporary chemical glitch or the start of a full-blown episode of suck. Let's hope the former.

I spent some time visiting my parents this evening, which was kind of nice. One of my brothers was there too, the one who likes to burn things. This is the brother who went to the Badlands the week before M and I did. Here are two pictures of him that his wife took while they were out there. Click 'em for the larger view. He enjoys being airborne.

Speaking of fire, I was intrigued by how many of you said you want to be cremated when you die. Coming from a big Catholic family, this isn't an option I had any idea was so popular. Everyone I've known who has died has been buried in a cemetery, usually in a family plot.

My answer to the question: Despite Suley telling me a creepy story about a cadaver, I'm donating my body to the hospital that saved my brother's life. After he got better, everyone in my family started donating blood regularly. Well, my blood is undonatable, for several reasons, and I have enough weird medical issues that it seems there could be some things learned from my corporeal remains when I finally bite the big one that I figure I'll just let the medical students cut me all into bits. So. There you have it.

It's not like I'll be using it, anyway. As Atpanda says, it just holds me. Em gets the prize for the most unusual answer. I'd like to learn how that could work...

At my parents' house this evening, we played Fireball. How's Fireball played, you ask? It goes something like this. You get a rag and soak it in oil, the sort of oil you put in an oil lamp. Then you wad it into a tight ball, and wrap it in copper wiring. Then you light it on fire. Then you put on a thick leather glove, and you throw the fireball at each other. It makes a great whooshing sound as it tears through the air. Fireball is best played in a very large yard, because when you're holding the fireball, you're in this bubble of bright and you can't see where the other person is; you more or less just wing it with all your might at the place you last saw them standing. The object of the game is to move far enough from where you were after you last threw the ball that the person getting ready to wing it back at you doesn't hit you with it, but to not go so far that you can't catch it.

It's quite a rush to catch a ball of fire tearing at you at a high rate of speed. It's also pretty difficult, as my brother demonstrates at right, here. There is a lot of spectacular leaping and contorting of one's body as the ability see and judge accurately where the fireball is going is tested.

Fireball is great exercise. Nothing motivates you to move fast like the threat of taking some flame in the face. I did manage to bounce it off the top of my brother's head at one point, and Nancy was running around like a maniac and tripped M so that he fell on it.

Nancy actually scared us, because we've never played it in front of her before--we can't play it in our yard because the whole thing is covered in silver maple trees, and Fireball requires some open sky--and anyway, Nancy went nuts trying to eat the fireball. She kept barking at it and pouncing on it and running away and coming back and trying to bite whoever was holding it.

Before anyone gets too freaked that we're abusing our dogs by letting them eat fire, it must be said that the fireball itself doesn't get all that hot, since it's just burning oil for the most part; it's hot enough that you need a glove, but not so hot that it's going to do you in if it hits you. If it bounces off your clothes, the only way your clothes will catch fire is if some of the oil gets on you. Here's a picture of Nancy making a heroic leap over the fireball. When we brought her home and turned on the light and had a good look at her, we had to laugh. It doesn't appear that she was burned at all, but all the whiskers on the left side of her face are about half as long as they were before.

Dogs. Sheesh.

Anyway. Guess that's all the news that's fit to print for now. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

11 Comments:

At October 02, 2005 1:13 AM, Blogger suleyman said...

I would say "cheer up," but I know how it can be. Funky music can be a big help, though.

These images remind me of a song called "Fire" by Arthur Brown that goes: "I am the God of Hell Fire, and I bring you...FIRE!" It's fun.

I've done some insane stuff in my day, but I've never played Fireball. I have shot and have been shot at by Roman Candles on numerous occasions, but I've never actually thrown fire around with my hands. I can't believe I never thought of this before.

Your brother sounds awesome.

-Suley

 
At October 02, 2005 1:47 AM, Blogger Madam Sakura said...

Fireball...that has got to be the greatest game ever created...too bad I have never played. Heh!

I am going to bet it's a temporary chemical glitch. I always feel the same way after a really sweet vacation. Nothing a big pile of snuggly dogs can't fix, is what I always say!
xo- Jenelle=)

 
At October 02, 2005 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, I think I'm now officially scared of your and your family. But fireball sounds like a blast! too bad it's fire season here...
*sigh* LOL

 
At October 02, 2005 8:44 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Fireball? Let me know the next time you play, it sounds like something my Hubby would love to do. I'll send him straight over. He's all about campfires and burning things, so throw burning things at people would naturally come next.

Poor Nancy. I'm not sure, do whiskers grow back????

 
At October 02, 2005 9:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You played a game called "Fireball"?! *shakes my head*

We like to play flashlight tag in our family. We lost my nephew once for about an hour. That is about as exciting as it gets here...

As far as my job, right now I regret leaving my other position. I plan on posting at my blog about it sometime this week. It is not THAT bad, but... anyways...

 
At October 02, 2005 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me an old stick in the mud, but the thought of that scares the hell out of me. You're all crazy. :)
The pics of your bro in the air are awesome, though.

 
At October 02, 2005 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm answering your question late, because I haven't been around. And I just realized I've never really thought about that. Who wants to think about that? I think I want to be buried, very traditional. The idea of anything else just... I dunno.

Fireball... wow. And that's all I can say. Scary, yet very intriguing; I think I'd like to try that someday.

I'm with Jenelle, temporary glitch, hugs back at ya. :)

 
At October 02, 2005 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I particularly like the scary dog eyes in the background of that last pic.
OK seriously, do I have to give you the fire lecture? 'Cause you know how I feel about fire.

 
At October 02, 2005 7:08 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I hope you feel happier soon!

 
At October 03, 2005 9:55 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

fireball sounds like a lightly dangerous game??? I"ll NOT be telling my son about this one! hahahah.

 
At October 03, 2005 2:05 PM, Blogger paula said...

oh. my. gawd.

I'd SOOO play fireball at the beach... I can't imagine that it would be safe enough in any other area. But it sounds like an absolute BLAST!

What better way to beat the ho-hums than tossing the ol'fireball at one another, eh?

;)

mg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home