Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Smash! Crash! Boom!

Yesterday I heard about this meteor that has between a 1-in-60 and a 1-in-300 chance of hitting (and more or less obliterating life on) earth in 2029. The link’s in yesterday’s BoingBoing archives, if you’re interested. I’m too lazy to look it up and link from here. I’ve been pretty happy since I read about that. Boy, that’d be a load off, wouldn’t it?

I was dragged kicking and bitching into the twenty-first century last night. I now have a cell phone. It’s small. I’m probably going to lose it or smash it horribly before the week’s out.

This morning I had a nightmare. I had three sisters. One wanted to kill one of the others. So we traveled a long time away in a car. All of us. When we got to wherever we were going, the one who wanted to kill the other tied her to a bed and began beating her. Red welts showed up all over her body, knuckle-prints, four lines of fingers in a fist, teeth marks, bite wounds. The killing sister unabatedly vented her fury on the killed sister, who was silent, staring at the ceiling, waiting for it to stop so she could quietly die. The third sister wrung her hands, muttered, but didn’t try to stop it. I watched in horrified fascination. It took her a long time to die and when she did, she turned cold. The other two left and the corpse and I lolled lazily in the bed, coldly, waiting for me to wake up.

Now I'm at work, doing stuff that adds a small dose of meaninglessness to my already deliciously meaningless existance. Smile, maybe we'll all be dead in 24 years!

9 Comments:

At October 04, 2005 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shit, J.
What's going on lately? I'd reccomend my usual remedy, but I have a feeling something stronger (like conversation) might be on order.

 
At October 04, 2005 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[said in my best Johnny Depp/Willy Wonka voice]: You're weird.


LOL

 
At October 04, 2005 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I never thought I'd hear someone admit to having dreams like mine. I had to go to a psychologist after my breakdown my junior year of college. She kept telling me that I had the dreams of a person diagnosed with cancer.

Welcome to the club, I guess. Hope you stop paying dues sometime soon. Membership ain't worth it.

 
At October 04, 2005 4:39 PM, Blogger suleyman said...

*Sigh*. What can I do to cheer you up? I know!

Spackle. Spackle! Spackle! Spackle!

I dream about fruit pouring out of Nintendo cartridges, among other things. Sometimes I get killed by it, but it's never as violent as being beaten to death.

I think by 2029 we'll have some sort of destructo ray thingy that will allow us to obliterate any space debris that happens to drift our way. If it does come, I'm ready with the spiked shoulder pads and hockey mask so I can go Mad Max.

Sweet, get a blog already.

-Suley

 
At October 04, 2005 4:40 PM, Blogger paula said...

Facinating!!

You'd find out more of the true meaning if you sat and made an ultra-basic description of each sister. However that description is worded will give you insight to what or who they really represent. I would say that since they are your sisters in the dream, that they somehow reflect a subconcious vision of different parts of yourself.

mg

 
At October 04, 2005 7:40 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

Is that really your first cell phone? I was forced to take one from work in the last month, or I'd have claimed that I was the last person on Earth to move into the 21st century.

By the way, I'd love to know what that dream meant... You should offer your own interpretation :)

 
At October 04, 2005 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a drinking partner tonight, and you could obviously use a drink. Wanna come over??

 
At October 04, 2005 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooof, what a dream. Hope tonight's dreams aren't so nightmareish... sending some happy thoughts your way.

 
At October 05, 2005 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good news (or bad news) is that those asteroids are not going to hit Earth. They have a chance of doing so, only because the uncertainty in their orbit. Once the orbit is determined more accurately, the probability of a collision is likely to be zero. Of course, it only takes one direct hit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home