Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I spackle better drunk.

But, I probably do not blog better drunk.

After all the gloom and doom and woe-is-America yikescetera from the last post, I thought I ought to toss something more lighthearted up in here, especially since I had a crummy day at work and there's no reason to post gloom and doom two days in a row. So here are some random recent pictures. Click on any of them for a larger view, or click the Flickr link at left, cuz that's where they're all hosted. If Flickr goes down, this post is going to look mighty stoopid...

Our big dog Steve is a beerhound. I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not. Here he is schlurping the rest of my Leinenkugel. I know beer is not good for dogs, so he doesn't get a lot of beer. But he likes it so very much. He is so into beer that if you leave one sitting on the floor, he'll come over and knock it over so he can drink it out of the bottle. He's no dummy. He knows Leinenkugel Creamy Dark is some gooooood stuff.


Packaging is normally something I find quite ridiculous. I mean, do you really need to package each slice of American cheese in its own separate little plastic sheath? Do you need individually-wrapped toothpicks? It's a stupid waste. That said, the packaging on the sixth-season Simpsons DVD set is kind of amusing, as M. demonstrates.




This is my ring. M has one just like it. We got them at the Ohio Renaissance Festival, which is one of the best Ren-fests in the country. It has a permanent village and runs for almost two months in the fall. We dig the Celtic design. Would be kind of neater and more symbolic if it were two line structures wrapping over one another instead of a single looping line structure, but it's still cool as hell.



I meant to post this pic last night but instead I got all gloom and doom. We got almost four inches of rain in nine hours from the remnants of Katrina yesterday. I emptied the rain gauge before I left for work and by the time I got home, it was almost full.

This other pic on the right here is a flooded creek near my house at the end of yesterday. Normally this creek is just a trickle, especially at this time of year, but when I went to check it out yesterday, it was far higher than usual, as I expected. This image is a bit blurry because, to tell you the truth, I really had to take a leak while I was walking over to check this out, and seeing all that running water wasn't doing my bladder any favors... happily, there was a Port-O-Potty nearby.

Last but not least, here's a bathroom remodeling pic. Progress is going mighty slow in there. But, I did spend a number of hours spackling tonight. Spackle spackle spackle. Also I drank a lot of wine. While I was spackling. Which is why there is a glass of wine on the bathroom sink. And also probably why there is a bunch of spackle in the bathtub, and all over my leg, and all over my hands. I am a sloppy spackler. Especially when I get the hiccups while spackling.

I cannot type the word spackle without giggling. So lame.

Okay. Tomorrow, we have a company outing, during which we are supposed to play kickball. It's at a sculpture park that I went to like eight years ago for a poetry reading, and I'm pretty sure I read some bad poetry at this park at some point, so hopefully vestiges of shame will not haunt me as I play kickball with coworkers. Wish me luck. Happy...what the hell is it, Thursday already? Happy Thursday.

20 Comments:

At September 01, 2005 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, and the mundane details of life are inspiring in the wake of katrina. i love the beer hound! you might like this site that i found a while back:
http://www.obeythepurebreed.com

good luck with kickball, what a game, what a game...

 
At September 01, 2005 2:56 AM, Blogger Mikomiaki said...

What kind of dog is Steve?

 
At September 01, 2005 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one drunk spackler to another...I highly recommend a nice, cheap merlot or cab for guestroom spackling. And for caulking, I find that zin works well. When you're done with the job, nothing beats a nice cold beer!
Thanks for making me smile with this post...you're the best! spackle spackle spackle spackle spackle spackle...

 
At September 01, 2005 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dogs don't beg for food, just beer. :-) They do say dogs take after their humans.

And they have things such as rain gauges. hmm. Interesting. Don't see many of those in AZ.

 
At September 01, 2005 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You KNOW I'd get crazy with your beer hounds on the trampoline, and I swear that the next time I'm in Cinncinnasty that I'll look you up for such a romp! I could teach you some pointers in the great art of spackling. (I had anger issues as a child ...lots of holes through out our house, all of which I had to repair...)

And I agree, happy Thursday to all!

 
At September 01, 2005 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spackle, hehe, I love it. Makes me want to spackle something, just so I can say I've spackled.

Love the pictures, 4 inches of rain is pretty impressive for a "remnant" of something.

 
At September 01, 2005 10:58 AM, Blogger Greg said...

M looks really dreamy with the bulging eyes and two sprigs of hair. At least you didn't get any spackle on him. You didn't, did you?

 
At September 01, 2005 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, beer hound. I think your dog and I would get along quite well. Yes, quite well indeed. Actually, is your dog busy tonight?

 
At September 01, 2005 2:54 PM, Blogger paula said...

mmmmmmm
beeeeer

mmmmmmm
kickball

;)

Spackle is a fun word!
SPAkle
spakle
spAkle

mg

 
At September 01, 2005 3:43 PM, Blogger Walter said...

Your dog liking beer is great. Has he ever drank too much and stumbled around?

 
At September 01, 2005 4:07 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Bathroom remodeling! Oh, God! Don't even bring it up!

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

 
At September 01, 2005 6:13 PM, Blogger Raehan said...

I am a little jealous that you are a do-it-your-selfer.

I would make a mess of that project.

Sigh

The beer and wine make me want to try, though.

 
At September 01, 2005 9:06 PM, Blogger BEGT said...

I love the pictures!!! the first 2 are funny!!! and I love your ring :) :) :)

 
At September 01, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I LOVE the word spackle!!!! And I like to think I'm pretty good at it too.

Love the doggie. Mine also has this affinity for beer. Only good beer though.

My favorite part of your bathroom photo is the inconspicuous (or not so much) glass of red wine sitting on the sink. It's inspired me to open a bottle of Shiraz.....

 
At September 01, 2005 11:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

1) Like the pic of the dog. Even though there looks like an evil Spongebob about ready to pounce him in the background.

2) From what little I see of M, he's a cop. Can tell by the short/no hair "do". My cop has got the same "do".

3) Awesome ring. I really like the design.

4) A squirrel with an umbrella for a rain gage. Is this my grandmother's blog?

5) Empty bladder BEFORE going to see a large body of water with a heavy current. If you can't, at least next time, try to be outdoorsy. Pee in a bush.

6) I am hoping you are changing the color of that sink.

Thanks for the GREAT post. It made my day!

 
At September 04, 2005 10:34 AM, Blogger Frank said...

Wow! I love the pic of Steve!!!

 
At September 04, 2005 10:31 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Your ring is beautiful! I feel your pain with the spackling, I'm finishing up a plaster job that I started last July 2004.

What kind of a dog is Steve? He resembles my Rhosedian Ridgback, who is not an alcoholic, btw.

 
At October 22, 2005 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog. I have found another blog at bathroom decorating idea.
You may also find it useful.

 
At October 26, 2005 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I also have a site about bimini tower wakeboard
. You can check it out at bimini tower wakeboard
.

Also, as a special bonus for your visitors, i want to tell you about a site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam! Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to see if you qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

 
At October 26, 2005 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about ski waterskiing
. You can check it out at ski waterskiing
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home