Friday, July 15, 2005

Smoke, rain, and wet stinky dogs

It sure is nice to be able to see. I mean I can't see perfectly right now, but I can *see* and that's just great. I still have the blind spot and the pinpricks of light, and it's very difficult to read web pages with dark backgrounds and light text; I can only read about two paragraphs before I have to stop and go look at something light, and then I can go back and read two more paragraphs or so. But I can still *see* them. That is so neat.

Many thanks to all of y'all who provided support and encouragement the past couple days. Nice to know people read and even care. You guys are the greatest.

It's funny how when something like that is threatened, you start imagining your life without it. And then when you realize you still have it, everything is different. You get some perspective back.

Today, I bought a new camera via Amazon. I paid a bit extra for expedited shipping, but my new toy should arrive early next week. I am eagerly awaiting it. As in, I think it's going to be hard to sleep I'm so excited about it. A real camera!

For kicks, I took my poor lil' beat-up Nikon for a spin tonight to give it, shall we say, a final opportunity to do some fun stuff before I abandon it in favor of the Konica. Here's a Nikon picture of a three-inch-tall dragon sculpture I made about a hundred years ago:



















There are certain things this Nikon does well, such as capture mid-range tones (as long as they're not red), and certain things it does poorly, such as capture bright tones. I'm eager to see how the Konica will handle this same setup and lighting.

Here's another shot, at a slightly different angle and with different lighting. It didn't focus as well.






















I'm meeting my friend B and his two kids for breakfast tomorrow at First Watch. I see him fairly frequently since he works a couple buildings over from where I work downtown and we have lunch sometimes, but I haven't seen his kids in about three years. He has two girls, and I really liked them when I last saw them when they were five and three. They were super-girly then and the way he talks about them now they still are. So I made them these little sculpture things that I hope they'll like:
















I hope they're girly enough. I don't really get girly. For perspective, those are cicada wings. The fairies are just about an inch tall each, too small to put details on the face easily (i.e., I'm lazy and didn't want to bother trying, because it would have taken forever). Note of interest: you can bake cidada wings in a 300-degree oven for twenty minutes and nothing happens to them. It's weird, because they look and feel so much like plastic that it seems like they'd melt. But they don't.

The rest of the day was pretty nice. Work was laid back, nothing rushed for a change, although Monday's looking to be a work-late doozy. Had a nice conversation with E via Yahoo IM about cameras, college, and crazy exes. It was good to be able to talk shop a bit with someone who's as into photography as I am; M knows I love it but doesn't really get into it at all so it's like talking to, say, Moby about Nascar. I walked to the Court Street Market at lunch and got loads of veggies that M and I grilled and ate with teriyaki when I came home. It was pouring rain and we sat out under the awning by the hot grill, watching the rain and smelling the food cook and playing with the wet stinky dogs. I love how smoke looks in the rain. The grill was putting out just enough smoke that it looked really neat. Dinner was delicious. Nothing quite as fleshy and yummy as a portabella mushroom cap smothered in teriyaki and cooked on a grill. Ahh, so good. Later, we watched some SpongeBob SquarePants too. That SpongeBob. He's a funny guy.

Okay. It's late, and I have an early breakfast date with two cute kids. Maybe they'll let me take their pictures.

Appreciate what you can see.

5 Comments:

At July 16, 2005 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read this, I hear Spongebob's voice coming from my living room, where Nic is watching. Spongebob is a popular dude in my house, where I have to very non-girly little boys wreaking havoc...
It was good talking to you yesterday, too! I can't believe I didn't mention the driveway incident to you...probably trying to shut it out of my menory! :)
Yea! on the camera purchase! I think your current pics are great, so I can't wait to see new ones with the new camera!

 
At July 16, 2005 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for Spongebob! I haven't watched it much, but for some reason the song is always in my head. Advair has never made my throat hurt that I noticed; the worst effect I've noticed is a nasty taste sometimes... weird, almost like it goes bad or something. That's a lovely thought, I'm sucking some medication down that's gone bad. I'd love to know how exactly you came to find out that you can bake cicada wings, just boredom? :) Oh, and I wouldn't reccomend telling the girls where the wings came from, if they're anything like most little girls I know. Otherwise the sculptures are great, very girly, haha.

 
At July 16, 2005 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat little things you made!

 
At July 17, 2005 11:57 AM, Blogger BEGT said...

I love your post!!!
You're right... sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until we lose it, or think that we might lose it.
Congrats on your new camera!!! It looks NICE.

Sorry because my site is dark background and light color font... :(

I also love how smoke looks in the rain :)

Take care :D

 
At July 17, 2005 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, i sometimes get so paranoid about losing any one of my senses (or my legs and arms for that matter), i will sort of try to prepare myself (just in case) by closing my eyes and do normal stuff such as changing clothes or brushing my teeth. Pretty crazy huh?

Anyway. Those figurines are cute! how did you learn to make them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home